Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Seif Day 20

4/6.  Glad that my eight-match LL winless streak ended yesterday!  The TV and theater questions today were way too hard for me, but I was pretty sure about the rest when I submitted.  My LL opponent's strengths are about as different from mine as can be, which makes me feel good about my chances today and gave me some interesting defense.

1. Hong Kong :), D20.  About as gimme as it gets for me.  I wonder what the get rate would have been before the Extradition Law protests.

2. Meteoroid :), D22.  I don't think I could have defined meteoroid super accurately, but there seemed to be no other possible answer.

3. Tommy :(, D02.  I had no chance here.

4. Argentina :), D31.  The key was to recognize Rio de la Plata and then know that that is right by Buenos Aires (and separates a portion of Argentina from Uruguay).  This strikes me as pretty hard, though I'm uncertain as to how our cohort, which is quite good in geography, will do.

5. Smith :(, D13.  I'm sure I could have named one of the former male judges had I known it was People's Court, but I was never going to figure out that it was that show from the information in the question.

6. Thousand Islands :), D11.  I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize that this was a nickname for the islands in the St. Lawrence River (I know now that I've looked it up after the fact), but even without that, a "geographic sounding" name of a condiment similar to Russian dressing was enough to get this and for me to have a good deal of confidence that it was correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment