Monday, September 23, 2019

Jesse Day 18

4/6

1. Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, St. Kilda, and Carlton are all professional teams with very long histories in a sport best known internationally by a three-word name. What is that name?
Correct Answer: AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL
Your Answer: Australian Rules Football
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I lived in Australia and recognized those towns as being AFL teams. 

2. What is the scientific term used for any of two or more compounds that have the same molecular formula but differ in structure or other properties? Examples include methoxyethane and propanol, and glucose and fructose.
Correct Answer: ISOMERS
Your Answer: Isotopes
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I had no idea, but at least I got the Iso right. 

3. A 1529 siege, a 1683 siege, an 1809 treaty, an 1814-15 congress, and a 1938 Award are among the significant events that occurred in what city?
Correct Answer: VIENNA
Your Answer: Vienna
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I got this from the congress of Vienna, but the sieges solidified it. 

4. What one-word neologism was the name given to the backing section of the band The Parliaments, formed by George Clinton, which would become an R&B hitmaker in its own right through the 1970s?
Correct Answer: FUNKADELIC
Your Answer: Funkadelic
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I listened to a bit of P-Funk in high school. 

5. When characters Holling Vincoeur and Shelly Tambo's daughter Miranda was born in early 1994, she became the 844th citizen of the town that provided the setting for what fictional television series?
Correct Answer: NORTHERN EXPOSURE
Your Answer: Northern Exposure
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

I got this from Holling. I remembered that character's distinctive name. 

6. The craggy cliffs of Cap de Creus in coastal Catalonia are near the childhood home of what artist, and appear in the background of one of his most famous paintings, from 1931? (Note, name the artist.)
Correct Answer: SALVADOR DALÍ
Your Answer: Picaso
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1  

I rushed this one, but i think i would have gotten tripped up anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment