Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Jesse Day 9

5/6

1. What New York Yankees catcher holds the record for having played in the most World Series (and thus also, perhaps, experiencing the most déjà vu all over again in the World Series), with fourteen?
Correct Answer: YOGI BERRA
Your Answer: Yogi Berra
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

I am a Yankee fan and loved baseball as a kid. Playing Dave M in LL, I figured as a Kiwi this might be hard. 

2. A new branch of chemistry known as electrochemistry was facilitated by Alessandro Volta's 1800 invention of the voltaic pile, which is today better known as a what?
Correct Answer: (ELECTRIC) BATTERY
Your Answer: Battery
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

Seems like a gimmie. I was just worried I would have to be more specific, like Alkaline battery. 

3. Anzac Cove (Anzak Koyu) is the current name of the site where Allied forces landed, in 1915, in a campaign against the Turks on what peninsula?
Correct Answer: GALLIPOLI
Your Answer: Galipoli
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I have been there! I knew Dave would get this easily. 

4. The children's magazine published since 1967 by the National Wildlife Federation has what name, after the raccoon character who works to preserve the environment in the magazine's stories with his friends Boomer Badger and Scarlett Fox?
Correct Answer: RANGER RICK
Your Answer: Rocky
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I could not pull the name even though I read these in elementary school. 

5. German composer Paul Hindemith's comic opera Neues vom Tage caused controversy in 1929 for a scene that featured what everyday household item, which remains relatively rare in opera (but not in singing as a whole, defined broadly)?
Correct Answer: BATHTUB/SHOWER
Your Answer: Bathtub
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

This was a pure guess, but nothing else made sense as an answer. 

6. While the wording of the declaration is attributed mostly to Secretary of State John Quincy Adams, the Doctrine that asserted "the American continents...are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European powers" is most associated with, and named after, what other man?
Correct Answer: JAMES MONROE
Your Answer: Monroe
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

American history gimmie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment