Friday, September 13, 2019

Jesse day 12

3/6

1. Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Schirra, Shepard, and Slayton are a set of names that are collectively most associated with what deity in the pantheon of Ancient Rome?
Correct Answer: MERCURY
Your Answer: Orion
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I was waiting on line to get my flu shot while I answered LL so didn't give this first one much thought. I wasn't sure Orion was in the Pantheon, but was in a rush. 

2. What landmark of northern South America is known in the indigenous Pemon language as Kerepakupai MerĂº ("falls of the deepest place")?
Correct Answer: ANGEL FALLS (SALTO ANGEL)
Your Answer: Angel Falls
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

Seems easy as what other waterfall can one name in northern South America? 

3. Regarding the great scientific controversy of the early 18th century, the verdict is now generally held that differential calculus was discovered independently by what two men?
Correct Answer: GOTTFRIED WILHELM LEIBNIZ, ISAAC NEWTON
Your Answer: pascal and descartes
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I had no idea. Newton should have been gettable for me. 

4. First published in 1975, the memoir collection by Primo Levi that consists of 21 stories, each named after (and inspired by) a chemical element, is fittingly titled what?
Correct Answer: THE PERIODIC TABLE (IL SISTEMA PERIODICO)
Your Answer: Periodic
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

Periodic sounds like a better name for a book. 

5. 26 of the 30 NBA franchises have names that are plural nouns (e.g., Raptors, Warriors, Bucks). Of the twelve franchises currently in the WNBA, there are five plural nouns. Identify any one of those five names.
Correct Answer: ACES, LYNX, MYSTICS, SPARKS, WINGS
Your Answer: Sparks
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I could think of two teams easily off the top of my head and fortunately one was the Sparks. I was just hoping it wasn't Spark. 

6. A classic of TV's first "Golden Age" was an ambitious and influential comedy/variety show, led by Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca, that was broadcast live for 90 minutes on Saturday nights from 1950 to 1954. What words fill in the blanks in its title here: Your _____ of _____?
Correct Answer: SHOW, SHOWS
Your Answer: show shows
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2  

I just knew this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment