Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Jesse day 14

5/6 

1. The sun goddess Amaterasu, ruler of Takamagahara, is the most important deity in what religion?
Correct Answer: SHINTO
Your Answer: Shinto
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

The words looked Japanese and the only Japanese religion with gods that I know of is Shinto. 

2. Queen agrees to prime minister's request to ________ parliament for critical five-week period. This subhead, taken from the front page of the August 29, 2019, edition of the British daily newspaper The Guardian, is missing what eight-letter word, a relatively obscure term that had a massive spike in interest and usage that week?
Correct Answer: PROROGUE
Your Answer: prorogue
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

This was in the news a lot and a few of the podcasts that I listen to have covered this move. 

3. "Klaatu barada nikto," perhaps the most famous phrase ever uttered in an extra-terrestrial language in cinematic history, was the command that stopped the robot Gort from destroying the planet in what 1951 film (as well as in the loosely adapted 2008 remake)?
Correct Answer: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
Your Answer: I am Robot
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I knew my answer was wrong, but I have not seen either the original or the remake so could not pull it. 

4. What word is used for a symbol placed on a music staff that indicates what pitch is represented by each line and space on the staff?
Correct Answer: CLEF
Your Answer: Cleff
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I took 2 music appreciation courses in college including one where we learned how to read music. 

5. In 1963, an Institute for Biological Studies opened in San Diego, California, largely through the efforts of what American virologist, after whom the institute is named?
Correct Answer: JONAS SALK
Your Answer: Salk
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

Only virologist I can name. 

6. Swan Song Records was a label begun in 1974 by what rock band, whose own "swan song" on Swan Song was 1982's Coda?
Correct Answer: LED ZEPPELIN
Your Answer: Led Zepellin
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0  

I have Coda. 

No comments:

Post a Comment