Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Jesse day 23

3/6

1. A mixture that traditionally includes thyme, rosemary, savory, marjoram, and oregano is often marketed as herbes from where?
Correct Answer: PROVENCE
Your Answer: Provence
Points Assigned: 0

I just knew this. We use it. 

2. One example of a contronym—a word that has contradictory meanings based on context—is a word that means both "confidently optimistic" and "bloodthirsty". What is that word?
Correct Answer: SANGUINE
Your Answer: Sanguine
Points Assigned: 1

I got it through bloodthirsty. 

3. What last name is shared by a American Civil War general and novelist, a vice president under Franklin D. Roosevelt, and a candidate for U.S. President in the 1960s?
Correct Answer: WALLACE
Your Answer: Sherman
Points Assigned: 3

The only way I would have had a chance at this would have been pursuing it through 60's presidential candidates. I just guessed a civil war general. 

4. The fourth- and fifth-largest lakes in North America are "Great" lakes that are not one of the five Great Lakes. Name either of the two.
Correct Answer: GREAT SLAVE LAKE, GREAT BEAR LAKE
Your Answer: Great Salt Lake
Points Assigned: 2

I was very confident in my answer, but I had no idea about any of the Canadian lakes. 

5. "Jumpman" was an early name for the video game character now known as Mario, and is also unrelatedly the name of a logo owned by what company?
Correct Answer: NIKE
Your Answer: Nike
Points Assigned: 1

I just knew this. 

6. The name for the supercontinent Pangaea comes from the Ancient Greek for "all" (pan) and "Mother Earth" (Gaia). Likewise, what is the name of the superocean that surrounded Pangaea, from the Ancient Greek for "all" and "sea"?
Correct Answer: PANTHALASSA
Your Answer: Panmar
Points Assigned: 2

Nope. I tried out Spanish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment