Friday, June 5, 2020

Jesse day 12

4/6

1. What two nations became independent at midnight on August 15, 1947, an event that was accompanied by the tragic deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians and the migration of millions of religious refugees between the two new countries?
Correct Answer: INDIA, PAKISTAN
Your Answer: Greece and Turkey
Points Assigned: 2

My mind first went to Greece and Turkey, which is stupid because that happened much earlier in the century with the collapse of the Ottoman empire. I just should have thought a tiny bit harder. 

2. What term for a music school referred initially to orphanages in 16th-18th century Italy where music was taught (and in fact comes from the Italian word for "orphanage")?
Correct Answer: CONSERVATORY
Your Answer: Conservatory
Points Assigned: 0

I had the word Consortium in my head. It took me a few minutes to come up with this. 

3. An Americanized spelling of the German word for "farmer" is used for the names of the two highest cards in what trick-taking card game?
Correct Answer: EUCHRE
Your Answer: Euchre
Points Assigned: 1

I played a lot Euchre in college. Rochester is a hotbed of Euchre play. The top two cards are Bowers. I did not know the derivation of Bowers and was concerned there were other trick-taking games like Hearts that might be considered. 

4. What television network could figuratively be expressed as C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>2</sub>(NO<sub>2</sub>)<sub>3</sub>CH<sub>3</sub>?
Correct Answer: TNT
Your Answer: CNBC
Points Assigned: 2

Oh. I had no idea. 

5. Manet's Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe, Morisot's The Cradle, and Millet's The Gleaners are among the many famous works in the permanent collection of what museum, which opened in 1986 in a former train station on the Left Bank of the Seine constructed at the end of the 19th century?
Correct Answer: MUSÉE D'ORSAY
Your Answer: Museum D'Orsea
Points Assigned: 3

I have been there and also it is part of a presentation I made for participants in my organization Paris to Rome program. 

6. Identify the cabinet secretary who currently holds the position held in previous presidential administrations by Julián Castro, Mel Martínez, Andrew Cuomo, Jack Kemp, and George Romney (among others).
Correct Answer: BEN CARSON
Your Answer: Ben Carson
Points Assigned: 1

I was pretty sure Castro was Housing and Urban Development, and that would be Ben Carson, who somehow has kept his job because I am guessing Trump forgot this department existed. I imagine a significant part of Ben Carson's day is spent hiding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment