Monday, March 1, 2021

Jesse Day 6

3/6

1. What island's name comes possibly from its location down the Susquehanna River from the borough of Middletown, Pennsylvania, near Harrisburg, or alternatively from an inaccurate interpretation of a geological survey by the US Department of the Interior in 1963?
Correct Answer: THREE MILE ISLAND
Your Answer: Three Mile Island
Points Assigned: 1

I always thought Three Mile Island was in New York, but I could not come up with a better answer. 

2. A group of women living in and around the Gee's Bend hamlet in the Black Belt of Alabama are renowned for their works of art using what specific medium—a medium that is also referenced in the title of a 1985 piece by American artist Faith Ringgold, "Street Story <Redacted>"?
Correct Answer: QUILT
Your Answer: Spray paint
Points Assigned: 3

Shoot, this very gettable. 

3. A giant mock-up of a slot machine dominated the set of what game show, hosted by Jack Barry until his death in 1984?
Correct Answer: JOKER'S WILD
Your Answer: Press Your Luck
Points Assigned: 2

I have heard of it, but never watched it. 

4. A system known as Devanagari is one of the four most widely adopted and most actively used of its type in the world (probably at #3 or #4, though exact numbers would be impossible to determine). Name any one of the other three of these systems with the greatest prevalence.
Correct Answer: LATIN/ROMAN, CHINESE/HANJI/KANJI, ARABIC
Your Answer: Ayuvardic
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea what Devanagari was. I thought perhaps it was a style of Yoga, and then I realized I don't know what any of the styles are called. 

5. What term from physics is used in economics for the rate at which money is exchanged in an economy—specifically, the ratio of a measure of transactions (such as GDP) to a measure of the money supply?
Correct Answer: VELOCITY (OF MONEY/CIRCULATION)
Your Answer: Velocity
Points Assigned: 1

I was considering frequency, but velocity made a lot more sense as a physics term. Glad I was right. 

6. What city flourished as a center of culture and trade, perhaps reaching its greatest brilliance under the 8th/9th-century rule of Harun al-Rashid, the Abbasid caliph whose court and capital provided the setting for many of the stories in One Thousand and One Nights?
Correct Answer: BAGHDAD
Your Answer: Baghdad
Points Assigned: 0

Gimmie?

No comments:

Post a Comment