Friday, June 18, 2021

Jesse day 24

5/6- I was given credit for 4/6 yesterday, so he was forgiving of Gun v Guns and Increased v Increase

1. During the 1903 split of the Russian Social Democratic party, two groups emerged that took their respective names from the Russian for "majority" (Vladimir Lenin's group) and "minority" (Julius Martov's group). Name either group.
Correct Answer: BOLSHEVIKS, MENSHEVIKS
Your Answer: Bulsheviks
Points Assigned: 1

I butchered the spelling, but I remembered this. 

2. Due to his fighting spirit on the court, 1920s-era tennis champion René Lacoste was given what nickname (with which he remained closely associated until his death in 1996 and beyond)?
Correct Answer: THE CROCODILE
Your Answer: Crocodile
Points Assigned: 0

I had no idea Lacoste was tied to a tennis player. I was pretty sure it was a Crocodile, not an alligator. 

3. What recently departed actor starred in the 1970s comedies A Touch of Class (with Glenda Jackson), The Owl and the Pussycat (with Barbra Streisand), Blume in Love (with Susan Anspach), and Where's Poppa? (with Ruth Gordon)?
Correct Answer: GEORGE SEGAL
Your Answer: Gavin McCloud
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea. I knew the love boat guy died. 

4. The malleus, the largest and outermost of the three small bones (ossicles) of the middle ear, has a shape that is often described using the name of what musical artist and trouser trendsetter?
Correct Answer: (MC) HAMMER
Your Answer: MC Hammer
Points Assigned: 2

I initially put down Prince, because his name is a shape. While he is a fashion Icon, he is more known for blouses. I then thought of neil Diamond as I could imagine a diamond shape bone and he was "Forever in Blue Jeans." Just before submitting Hammer pants came to me and I knew that had to be right. 

5. Name the southern Egyptian city, and capital of its namesake Governorate, near which an embankment dam (at the time, the world's largest) was built in the 1960s?
Correct Answer: ASWAN
Your Answer: Aswan
Points Assigned: 1

I am aware of the Aswan Dam.

6. A 1920 novel by Edith Wharton that famously explores the customs and manners of New Yorkers in the 1870s describes that period as the "Age" of what?
Correct Answer: INNOCENCE
Your Answer: Innocense
Points Assigned: 2

It was a guess, but it was the first thing that came to mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment