Friday, June 4, 2021

Jesse day 15

4/6

1. What name could be included in a list that also includes Buffay and Green, in another list that includes Google and Baidu, and in yet another that includes Rainier and Montmorency?
Correct Answer: BING
Your Answer: Bing
Points Assigned: 2

Great question. I knew Baidu was also a search engine, so Bing was on my early list. I knew Rainer was a Mountain but did not draw the cherry reference right away. I had no idea what Montmorency was. I returned to Buffay and thought of Pheobe. Then it all made sense. 

2. An invisible demarcation that runs, in part, through the Bering Strait, around Kiribati to the east, and between Samoa and American Samoa, is best-known by what three-word term?
Correct Answer: INTERNATIONAL DATE LINE
Your Answer: International Date Line
Points Assigned: 1

Pretty easy for a geography nut. 

3. A 1741 oratorio's 44th movement (of 53), which closes the oratorio's second part (of three), is one of the most frequently performed choral works in Western music. Give the name of this 44th movement, or of the oratorio itself, which was composed in English by a German-born baroque master.
Correct Answer: HALLELUJAH/MESSIAH
Your Answer: Bach
Points Assigned: 0

I read the question and was trying to think of which Baroque master it could be that wrote the piece when I got distracted by my child who is home sick. When I got back to it I accidentally put down the composer I thought it would be rather than the piece. Oh well. 

4. What Spanish word fills in the blanks in the following works, by Octavio Paz and Gabriel García Márquez, respectively: El laberinto de la ______ (1950); Cien años de ______ (1967).
Correct Answer: SOLEDAD
Your Answer: Solitudo
Points Assigned: 1

Ugh. I was pretty sure my Spanish would fail me once again. I read 100 years of Solitude. 

5. In American football, an official pointing an extended arm toward the defensive team's goal, with the hand flat (or pointing a finger) and perpendicular to the ground, is giving the signal for what?
Correct Answer: FIRST DOWN
Your Answer: First Down
Points Assigned: 3

First down!

6. In China in the third century CE, immediately following the end of the Han dynasty, supremacy was fought for among the Wei in the north, the Wu in the southeast, and the Shu Han in the west. This period is best known by what name, which is cited in a classic of Chinese literature attributed to Luo Guanzhong.
Correct Answer: THREE KINGDOMS
Your Answer: Warring States
Points Assigned: 2

Nope! 

No comments:

Post a Comment