Thursday, June 17, 2021

Jesse day 23

2-4/6. I am not sure how forgiving Thorsten will be. Interesting questions today. 

1. In 1960, the French artist Yves Klein patented the process for developing his trademark creation, which he named IKB. The first two letters stand for International Klein; what is the "B"?
Correct Answer: BLUE
Your Answer: Blue
Points Assigned: 0

I had read articles about Anish Kapoor'sBlackest black and this had come up as part of the history of owning a color. 

2. What river of central Europe, which formed part of the border between East and West Germany, rises in the Czech Republic and flows through the cities of Dresden, Magdeburg, and Hamburg on its way to the North Sea?
Correct Answer: ELBE/LABE
Your Answer: Elbe
Points Assigned: 2

I knew it was not the Rhine or the Danube. That left the Elbe. I have been to Hamburg, so perhaps that helped too. 

3. The Irish word práta, a stáplacha ar aiste bia na hÉireann associated with an Gorta Mór, translates to English as what?
Correct Answer: POTATO
Your Answer: The luck of the Irish
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea. 

4. L.A.-born guitarist Tracy Ulrich, performing under a stage name, co-founded a glam metal band named after himself. He was also a founding member of another rock band which was also partially named after him (though his tenure in this latter band was brief, as he was replaced by a mononymous guitarist born Saul Hudson). Ulrich's professional first name is the slightly modified "Tracii"; what is his professional surname?
Correct Answer: GUNS
Your Answer: Gun
Points Assigned: 1

Not sure if I will get credit. I figured it out this way: Mononymous guitar player had to be Slash. He must have been in Guns and Roses. Axle Rose is singular so I figured Tracii would be singular Gun. Plus Tracii Gun sounded more right than Tracii Guns. It reminded me of Tommy Gunn. I got close considered I have never heard of Tracii Guns. 

5. A March 2021 headline from the Indian business daily The Economic Times reported that "Indian _____ prices _____ 5% in a month." The two words that fill in these blanks are (coincidentally) first names of two prominent colonial American clergymen, who were son and father. What are those two names?
Correct Answer: COTTON, INCREASE
Your Answer: Cotton, Increased
Points Assigned: 2

Good question! My gut reaction was India has a lot of cotton and I immediately thought of Cotton Mather, who I thought was a clergyman someone how possibly involved with the sale witch trials. I considered "Rose" for the other person, but that is a woman's name. In the end I threw out Increased, having no idea that Increase could be a name. Maybe I will get credit?

6. Give the name of the trigonometric function that, in a right triangle, is equal to the ratio of the length of the side adjacent to a given angle to the side opposite the given angle.
Correct Answer: COTANGENT
Your Answer: Pythagorean Theorem
Points Assigned: 1

Nope. I zoned out halfway through that question. 

No comments:

Post a Comment