Monday, June 14, 2021

Jesse day 20

3/6

1. An internal combustion engine in which the air within the cylinder is highly compressed, raising the temperature so that added fuel immediately combusts ("compression-ignition", as opposed to the use of a spark), is most commonly referred to as what type of engine?
Correct Answer: DIESEL ENGINE
Your Answer: Diesel
Points Assigned: 0

I was pretty sure that is how diesel engines worked. 

2. What Latin word, which is used as a name (typically male) in English, is the antonym of the Latin word sinister?
Correct Answer: DEXTER
Your Answer: Felix
Points Assigned: 2

I thought I had this. I thought one of the meanings of sinister was unlucky and I think Felix is lucky in Latin. 

3. What ancient name for the lands lying between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, which were home to various cultures including the Sumerians, Babylonians, and Assyrians, fittingly comes from the Greek for "between rivers"?
Correct Answer: MESOPOTAMIA
Your Answer: Mesopotamia
Points Assigned: 1

Seems pretty easy. I was worried the answer was too obvious. 

4. What word, which is also used for certain equipment in the referenced game itself, fills in both blanks in the following statement: "In 1978, cricketer Ian Botham became the first player to score 100 runs and take eight ________ in a single test match, and in 1982 he achieved the record of 3,000 runs and 250 ________ in test matches."
Correct Answer: WICKETS
Your Answer: Wickets
Points Assigned: 1

I watched a fair amount of Cricket when I lived in Australia. 

5. German author Thomas Mann's 1912 novella concerns a middle-aged writer who develops an obsessive attraction toward an adolescent boy while visiting what city—where, at the story's end, the writer dies?
Correct Answer: VENICE
Your Answer: Berlin
Points Assigned: 3

Nope.

6. Paris's Palais Garnier, which opened in 1875, was constructed for what purpose—as referenced in the title of a 1910 novel (and 1986 musical and countless other adaptations) that used the building as its setting?
Correct Answer: OPERA
Your Answer: Cabaret
Points Assigned: 2

Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment