Monday, June 7, 2021

Jesse Day 16

5/6.

1. What Germanic tribe—who migrated from the Baltic coast in the 1st century BE, were driven west by the Huns, ousted from Gaul and Spain by the Goths, and eventually sacked Rome in 455—has a name that lives on today in English vernacular, due to the destructive behavior by which they have been characterized?
Correct Answer: VANDALS
Your Answer: Vandals
Points Assigned: 1

The extra linguistic clue made this a gimmie. 

2. Coppin State, Florida A&M, Morgan State, Lane College, and Virginia Union are colleges and universities which, per a categorization commonly applied to them, are historically what? (Note, answer is one word.)
Correct Answer: BLACK
Your Answer: Black
Points Assigned: 1

Seems easy.

3. What French term for a certain clear soup is the past participle of a verb that can mean "to accomplish" or "to finish", as this soup is intended to be "finished" (unlike a stock or broth)?
Correct Answer: CONSOMMÉ
Your Answer: Consomme
Points Assigned: 2

I just knew this. 

4. One primary difference between Alpine skiing (downhill skiing) and Nordic skiing is the type of device used to connect the ski boots to the skis. These devices are generally best known by what term?
Correct Answer: BINDINGS
Your Answer: Bindings
Points Assigned: 0

I don't ski and I still knew this. Probably from watching the Olympics. 

5. The fictional Jarrett family of Lake Forest, Illinois, as portrayed by Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore, and Timothy Hutton, are described as what type of people, most famously?
Correct Answer: ORDINARY
Your Answer: Ordinary
Points Assigned: 2

I saw this when I was in film school. 

6. The name of the setting established by Beelzebub in John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress is used in the title of a serial novel from 1848 by William Makepeace Thackeray, and in turn in the name of a monthly magazine currently edited by Radhika Jones. What is that name?
Correct Answer: VANITY FAIR
Your Answer: Harper's Bazaar
Points Assigned: 3

I was thinking of Vanity Fair, but instead went with the wrong answer. Neither of those clues were much help to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment