Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Jesse day 21

4/6. 

1. In 1876, Felix Adler founded an organization (and movement), stressing the importance of morality and ethics in human interaction, that he named the Society for Ethical what?
Correct Answer: CULTURE
Your Answer: Culture
Points Assigned: 2

My mother belonged to the Ethical Cultural Society of Maplewood and had several art exhibits in their building. Otherwise I would have had no idea.

2. Reilly is to Ferrell (2018) as Burke is to Brett (1984-94) as Bruce is to Rathbone (1939-46) as Morell is to Cushing (1959) as Freeman is to whom (2010-17)?
Correct Answer: CUMBERBATCH
Your Answer: Carrell
Points Assigned: 2

I should have thought this through more but I have very busy day ahead of me. I got the step brothers reference and was sure it was mart Freeman, but I connected it to the Office instead of Sherlock, which I did watch in its entirety. 

3. In an 1821 painting by John Constable, likely his most famous, a group of peasants gather hay while horses pull a cart known (per the painting's title) as a what?
Correct Answer: WAIN
Your Answer: Hearse
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea. I don't know what Wain means. 

4. Acclaimed American actor and singer Paul Robeson, whose international fame was established via his performance of "Ol' Man River" in Show Boat, was also closely identified with what Shakespeare character, whom he portrayed in London (1930) and on Broadway (1943)?
Correct Answer: OTHELLO
Your Answer: Othlello
Points Assigned: 0

Black actor plus Shakespeare makes this an easy get. 

5. Name the king of Greek mythology whose foolish wish was granted by Dionysus, rendering him unable to eat (among other troubles) until he gained relief by bathing in the River Pactolus.
Correct Answer: MIDAS
Your Answer: Midas
Points Assigned: 1

A King not being able to eat leads to Midas. 

6. What dynasty ruled most of northern India from 1526 until the mid-18th century, beginning with Babur, prospering under Akbar, and reaching its peak under Shah Jahan?
Correct Answer: MOGHUL/MUGHAL
Your Answer: Mughal
Points Assigned: 1

I spent a lot of time in the Mughal area of India and learned more about them while in Uzbekistan, which is where the rulers came from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment