Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Seif Day 14 vs. Pelc (LLL)

3/6.  I'm actually very happy with that.  Given how friendly the past few days' questions have been for me, I knew much harder ones were coming.  I'm glad to walk away with 3, as only one of these was clear to me.

1. Anchor :), D11.  I had no special insight here, but it seemed like the only reasonable guess.  I figured it was either right or by far the MCW.

2. Kiss :(, D31.  Maybe one could argue this wasn't all that far off?  I really feel like I need to get pop music questions graded on a curve.

3. Richie Rich :(, D20.  I've heard of The Thomas Crown Affair, but I had no idea what it was about and had zero chance of coming up with it.

4. Minnesota :), D12.  Given that Thorsten was only looking for a single state, it had to be Minnesota.  But I actually have a big problem with this question, and I think someone who put Texas would have cause to argue.  Minnesota is Humphrey and Mondale.  But Texas is HW Bush and, arguably, Cheney.  Cheney switched his residency to Wyoming at the last second because the president and VP candidates can't realistically be from the same state, but Cheney was really from Texas.  And the question's nebulous "primarily associated with" terminology leaves this ambiguous.  Anyway, that's just my two cents.

5. Fire stick :(, D22.  Maybe... maybe the word petard rings a bell now that I see it, and maybe I'm just making that up.  But I certainly had no shot at it.  Too bad, since I spent most of my time on this question.

6. Venus :), D03.  Happy with this one.  A solid art get on my part.  There is a difference between my nonexistent pop music knowledge and my art knowledge, which can occasionally recognize the description of a famous painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment