Friday, September 18, 2020

Jesse Day 22

3/6

1. What is the term used in competitive swimming events, whether "individual" or "relay", where all four strokes are required?
Correct Answer: MEDLEY
Your Answer: Medley
Points Assigned: 0

I have watched the Olympics enough to know the answer right away. 

2. A US law enacted in 1981 and abbreviated OBRA was a Budget Reconciliation Act that implemented massive reductions in government spending (except for defense, which was greatly increased) and made significant alterations to the congressional budget process. What does the "O" in OBRA stand for?
Correct Answer: OMNIBUS
Your Answer: Omnibus
Points Assigned: 1

Omnibus seemed to fit well for the O spot. Couldn't think of any other answer that made sense. 

3. The Dinner Party, Cloud Gate, and A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte are names of works of art that all—for different reasons—have a close association with what city?
Correct Answer: CHICAGO
Your Answer: Paris
Points Assigned: 2

None of those clues meant anything to me. I had no chance. 

4. The "Freestyle" is a shoe whose popularity has been attributed to the aerobics fitness craze of the 1980s, and is widely credited as the first sneaker designed and marketed for women. What company launched the Freestyle in 1982 (and still produces the shoe today)?
Correct Answer: REEBOK
Your Answer: Reebok
Points Assigned: 2

I associate Reebok with aerobics and the 80s. This will be harder for millennials. 

5. Three of the Native American women from Oklahoma who were known collectively as the "Five Moons" were Yvonne Choteau, Rosella Hightower, and Moscelyne Larkin. What is the last name shared by the other two, who were sisters and members of the Osage Nation?
Correct Answer: TALLCHIEF
Your Answer: Osage
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea. 

6. An abbreviation of a Latin word, which translates to "in the same place", often appears frequently in reading lists, bibliographies, footnotes, endnotes, and the like. What is that word (or its abbreviation)?
Correct Answer: IBIDEM/IBID.
Your Answer: Ref
Points Assigned: 1

It has been a long time since I saw IBID. I had no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment