Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Seif Day 11 vs. Kim (LLL)

Rarely am I disappointed with 4/6, but I thought I possibly had all 6 when I submitted and was "sure" about 5.  These were extremely friendly questions for me.  I'm wondering whether this goes down as a harder-than-normal day.

1. Tell :), D13.  I couldn't have told you when William Tell lived other than 500 to 1000 years ago, but Swiss folk hero with an opera (which I somehow had heard of) made this the clear best guess.  I was confident it was right when I submitted.

2. Goa :), D11.  I got this both from the fact that Goa is the smallest Indian state and because it was Portuguese, and da Gama was the Portuguese explorer for discovered a sea route to India.

3. Bull Moose :), D02.  I knew this, but hard to see how you could figure it out if you didn't.

4. Red Bull :(, D20.  I knew Red Bull was Austrian, so it made sense.  The word "manufacture" didn't sit quite right in the context of a drink, but I still thought it was good guess.

5. Talc :), D32.  I recognize Mohs scale when I see it.  I'm not sure I could have given anything other than diamond or talc at the ends.

6. Shelley :(, D21.  This one was kind of soul crushing.  I was so proud of myself for recognizing the daughter as Mary Shelley that I didn't even consider that the mother might have had a different last name.  Turns out, I had no chance, but I was sure I was right when I submitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment