Thursday, September 10, 2020

Day 16

3/6 I got Lasik a year ago and at night I apply an overnight moisturizing ointment into my eye. I also happen to have a plantar wart on my foot that I am using Preparation H Salicylic acid ointment to dissolve. The tubes are roughly the same size with the same dark blue and white packaging. Needless to say, mistakes were made last night. No damage, but I'll need to use steroid/antibiotic drops for a week. I was a bit distracted when I submitted my answers this morning while in the doctor's waiting room. 

1. Molecules of C<sub>60</sub> (carbon-60), which are composed of clusters of 60 carbon atoms bonded together in a polyhedral structure made of pentagons and hexagons, are playfully identified by what informal term (referencing the nickname of a famous futurist and inventor who died in 1983)?
Correct Answer: BUCKYBALLS
Your Answer: Gooch
Points Assigned: 2

I think I would have gotten this if I had taken my time. 

2. Composition with Red, Yellow, and Blue (1928) and Composition with Yellow, Blue, and Red (1937–42), paintings whose palettes are limited to the three primary colors with black and white and with only vertical and horizontal lines, are indicative of the works of what master of Neo-Plasticism?
Correct Answer: PIET MONDRIAN
Your Answer: Rothko
Points Assigned: 2

Rothko seemed like a good enough guess to me. 

3. On August 10, 2020, The Rev. Jerry Prevo was named interim president of what US university?
Correct Answer: LIBERTY UNIVERSITY
Your Answer: Liberty University
Points Assigned: 0

I followed and loved this story. 

4. The northwestern Mississippi cities of Cleveland, Greenwood, and Indianola are within a region of the state known as what? This region is associated, by name, with (among other things) the style of blues music represented by Son House, John Lee Hooker, Freddie Spruell, Charley Patton, and numerous others.
Correct Answer: (MISSISSIPPI) DELTA
Your Answer: Delta
Points Assigned: 3

I was surprised this was right, but it was my best guess. I think I scored it too high. 

5. "Master Harold"...and the Boys, which is based on the early life of playwright Athol Fugard, is among his many works set in what country?
Correct Answer: SOUTH AFRICA
Your Answer: Norway
Points Assigned: 1

I rushed this and thought Fugard sounded Norwegian. 

6. A US chain of women's athletic clothing and activewear stores takes its name from a landmark civil rights law passed in 1972, which mandates (in part) that a person shall be not be denied the benefits of any education program based on sex. What is that name?
Correct Answer: TITLE NINE
Your Answer: Title 9
Points Assigned: 1

I knew this from college sports funding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment