Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Jesse Day 24

1/6. I wasn't expecting this bad a showing today. None of my guesses panned out. 

1. Supposed fossil remains were "discovered" by a man named Charles Dawson in 1910-1912 in East Sussex, England, in a hamlet known by what name? This hamlet's name was given to this "Man" who turned out to be a forgery.
Correct Answer: PILTDOWN
Your Answer: Chipwitch
Points Assigned: 2

I knew I could not pull the name even though I am familiar with this. 

2. Name the American reality competition series broadcast on Fox since 2005, based on a series that originated in Britain with the same name, which shares that name with an unrelated neighborhood in New York City.
Correct Answer: HELL'S KITCHEN
Your Answer: Hell's Kitchen
Points Assigned: 0

I think I have seen half an episode. 

3. The Horse Fair, finished in 1855 and now in the collection of New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Ploughing in the Nivernais, now in the Musée d'Orsay, are the best-known works of what French artist, widely regarded as the woman artist who achieved the greatest success and fame (and happiness?) during the 19th century?
Correct Answer: ROSA BONHEUR
Your Answer: Cassat
Points Assigned: 2

Never heard of her. 

4. Identify the politician and independence hero who served as the first prime minister of the nation now known as the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and was executed by Katangan and Belgian officers in January 1961.
Correct Answer: PATRICE LUMUMBA
Your Answer: Kinshasa
Points Assigned: 3

I was sure I had the right answer, figuring the capital had been named after this hero. I did not. This would seem to be incredibly difficult seeing as Billy Joel used the line "Belgians in the Congo" instead of "Patrice Lumumba in the Congo" 

5. Ancient Greek words for "wise" and "foolish" are perhaps quite appropriate as roots for what English word that very often categorizes a person in the United States around 15 or 16 years of age?
Correct Answer: SOPHOMORE
Your Answer: Juvenile
Points Assigned: 1

Shoot, this is very gettable. 

6. While the distinction was once held by Edam, the most-produced and most-consumed Dutch cheese in the world today takes its name from that of a municipality in the province of South Holland. What is that name?
Correct Answer: GOUDA
Your Answer: Havarti
Points Assigned: 1

Damnit, Havarti is Danish. I was blinded by my initial thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment