Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Jesse Day 25

3/6- Best wishes to everyone in the off-season. Stay safe, healthy, and employed! 

1. High ball, middle (or two), quick (or one), shoot, and red are all sets (or "plays") commonly used in what sport?
Correct Answer: VOLLEYBALL
Your Answer: Rugby
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I had no idea. Volleyball makes sense. 

2. The Treaty of Nanjing, in which the Qing government ceded Hong Kong to Queen Victoria, concluded the first of two wars that are most commonly known by what name?
Correct Answer: OPIUM WARS
Your Answer: Opium Wars
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

Gimmie history question for me. I considered Boxer Rebellion, but figured that was an event that was part of the Opium Wars.

3. The president of the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America in the 1920s and 30s gave his name to the code of practice adopted in 1930 to control movie content, particularly as it related to sexual morality. What was the name of this code?
Correct Answer: HAYS CODE
Your Answer: Wilson Code
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I could not remember it even though I went to film school. I think this is going to be very difficult for most people. 

4. The bird-of-paradise, genus Paradisaeidae, is found natively on what major island, which has a shape that is said to resemble the bird's (and thus has bird-related names for its northwestern and southeastern extremities)?
Correct Answer: NEW GUINEA
Your Answer: New Guinea
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I knew this from watching a nature documentary, maybe planet earth. 

5. Certain long, thin, sponge cake cookies, which are made with eggs, sugar, and flour and baked until golden, and which are used for trifles, charlottes, and tiramisu, and sometimes served with ice cream, are often given what anatomical name?
Correct Answer: LADYFINGERS/CAT'S TONGUES
Your Answer: Lady Fingers
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

Easy

6. What sort of imaginary creature did James Clerk Maxwell use in an 1867 thought experiment to represent a hypothetical violation of the second law of thermodynamics? The creature's function was to operate a partition between two chambers of gas.
Correct Answer: (MAXWELL'S) DEMON
Your Answer: Leprechaun
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I had no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment