Friday, March 13, 2020

Jesse Day 18

5/6

1. In an article from 1994, the New York Times declared a "Big Three" in the area of online information services. America Online (AOL) and Compuserve were two—what was the third?
Correct Answer: PRODIGY
Your Answer: Prodigy
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I am not sure if this would have come to me so quickly if it weren't for the fact that Prodigy is one of the major disc golf manufacturers. Either way, I grew up at the right time for this. We had AOL and Compuserve. 

2. Middle schooler Greg Heffley is the main character in what massively successful book series written and illustrated by Jeff Kinney? Subtitles of installments in the series include Rodrick Rules, The Last Straw, and Wrecking Ball.
Correct Answer: DIARY OF A WIMPY KID
Your Answer: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

My daughter doesn't read any of these, but I do see the title when looking for things for her to watch and read. This was still a guess as I don't know any actual titles. 

3. English race car driver Lewis Hamilton won the 2019 Formula One World Drivers' Championship, his third in a row, sixth overall, and fifth with what carmaker's constructor team?
Correct Answer: MERCEDES (MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS MOTORSPORT)
Your Answer: Ferrari
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I had no idea. Just guessed.

4. What slang word for power and respect is a pivotal (and titular) element in a 1992 film directed by Ernest Dickerson that starred Omar Epps and Tupac Shakur in his debut in a major acting role?
Correct Answer: JUICE
Your Answer: Juice
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I never saw it, but it popped into my head right away.

5. For most of its history—as a medieval territory, confederation with the Holy Roman Empire, short-lived kingdom, dominion of the Swedish Empire, Governorate of Russia, etc.—the historical area known as Livonia covered area now predominantly within two present-day countries. Name either country.
Correct Answer: ESTONIA, LATVIA
Your Answer: Estonia
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

Seems pretty easy. I have been to Estonia and am supposed to be going back to the Baltics this summer. 

6. Of the dozens of singles released by the Rolling Stones in the United States, exactly one has a title which is, in its one-word entirety, a common female first name. What is that title?
Correct Answer: ANGIE
Your Answer: Angie
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

Angie came immediately to mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment