Friday, March 20, 2020

Jesse Day 23

4/6

1. The Children of Gebalaawi, The Thief and the Dogs, the Cairo Trilogy, and Miramar are all works of what African novelist, who survived an assassination attempt in October 1994?
Correct Answer: NAGUIB MAHFOUZ
Your Answer: Mubarek
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I put together a recommended reading list for Egypt with the Cairo Trilogy in it, but only based on reviews. I have not read them, nor could I remember his name. 

2. The point on a number line or graph that represents the ordered pair (0,0), where the x and y axes meet, is most commonly known by what word?
Correct Answer: ORIGIN
Your Answer: Origin
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

Total guess that I was surprised was right. It is the word that seemed to make the most sense. 

3. Around the year 1180, a thirteen-year-old Mongol boy named Temujin was made chief of his tribe. What word for "chief" was used as his title, a word that is still common today (in reference to Temujin and others)?
Correct Answer: KHAN
Your Answer: Khan
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

Gimmie?

4. Prior to its rebranding as Pop in 2015, that cable channel was previously named after what publication, whose function as a channel service had mostly become obsolete?
Correct Answer: TV GUIDE
Your Answer: TV Guide
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I didn't think this would be right, but it was the best answer I could think of. 

5. The highest mountain range in New Zealand has the name Kā Tiritiri o te Moana, but was given what other common name by Captain James Cook in 1770, in a derivative display of obvious and unsurprising European bias?
Correct Answer: SOUTHERN ALPS
Your Answer: (Southern) Alps
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I was planning several treks in the Southern Alps for me and some friends. I don't think that trip is going to happen anytime soon.  

6. Sissy Spacek appeared in two films in 1986 that were both adaptations of Pulitzer Prize–winning plays (from 1981 and 1983), in which she portrays (respectively) a killer of an abusive husband and a suicidal daughter. Name either of these plays.
Correct Answer: CRIMES OF THE HEART, 'NIGHT MOTHER
Your Answer: Carrie
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I had no idea. Should have made this the 3 pointer. 


Jesse Weisz   Executive Director
GEEO Teacher Travel Programs
p:  1-877-600-0105
m:  202-725-2151
w:  www.GEEO.org
e:  jesse@geeo.org
a:  700 E. Main St., Suite 100, Norristown, PA 19401 

No comments:

Post a Comment