Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Jesse Day 11

5/6

1. Natalie Merchant was the long-time vocalist and lyricist for what successful alternative rock band, which was perhaps misnamed as the group has never included more than twelve members?
Correct Answer: 10,000 MANIACS
Your Answer: 10,000 Maniacs
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I am not super familiar with their music, but the number clue helped trigger the right answer. 

2. Fill in the blank in this long-running advertising tagline: "The _________'s not Korbel." The tagline's wording is always correct in a certain technical sense, as Korbel has been produced in California since its founding in 1882.
Correct Answer: CHAMPAGNE
Your Answer: Champagne
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I briefly worked for a wine magazine and had to call Korbel to try to get them to place ads with us. 

3. Biographies of Napoleon Bonaparte, Abraham Lincoln, and Owen D. Young are among the works of what investigative journalist and muckraker, who is probably best remembered for her exposés in McClure's magazine and 1904's The History of the Standard Oil Company?
Correct Answer: IDA TARBELL
Your Answer: Barrow
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I have heard of her, but there was no way I could pull it. 

4. What was the name of the school established by Plato near Athens around 387 BCE? Named after a legendary hero, its name is now a generic term for a learning institution.
Correct Answer: ACADEMY
Your Answer: Academy
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I remember this from high school. 

5. The World Economic Forum, a not-for-profit foundation that bills itself as "the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation", holds an annual meeting every January in what European municipality?
Correct Answer: DAVOS (SWITZERLAND)
Your Answer: Davos
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

I just knew this. 

6. What term, which was used as a television brand from 1967 until 2005, is a celestial object defined as a high-luminosity core of an active galaxy?
Correct Answer: QUASAR
Your Answer: Quasar
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I think we had a Quasar TV. Gideon will be able to confirm. Either way, I took several astrophysics classes in college, so that was my root to the answer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment