Monday, June 24, 2019

Seif Day 23 vs. Mirkin (LLL)

With my victory over Jesse in LLL on Friday in what was a defense (or lack thereof) bloodbath, there are now three of us tied in points at the top of LLL with 3 days left.

3/6.  This result is disappointing given what I expected when submitting.

1.  Jacobite :(, D11.  Very disappointed to miss this.  I guess, looking back, that my answer doesn't quite work for all aspects of the question.  But it's sort of ingrained in me that a Jacobite was a supporter of James II.  This is correct, but I guess Tory counts too and fits the rest of the question better.  I spent all of maybe 3 seconds on this question because I was so certain I was right.

2. Mongolia :), D10.  This is probably the most obvious guess among the three candidates--Russia, India, Mongolia--but it's no gimme.  Its border is about 30% longer than the other two, so I could see someone coming up with another answer.  Still, I think D0 was the right move against Mirkin.

3. On the Waterfront :), D02.  Don't know where I pulled this from.  Prior to this question, all I knew about this movie was that it was old and considered very good.  But it came to me right away as a guess when I saw "docks," and I knew I wasn't going to get anything better.

4. Bases :(, D21.  Quite the trick question.  I didn't really know why a German company would make baseball bases, but it seemed to fit what appeared to be a sports gear question.

5. Pentagon :), D23.  Gimme, although I admit to having checked it mathematically in case I'd remembered the angles of regular polygons incorrectly.  I'm surprised to see Mirkin struggles so much with math questions, but given his percentage there, D3 was the only thing I could give him.

6. Abstract :(, D32.  I've vaguely aware of Jasper Johns, so I knew I wasn't going to give a completely crazy answer, but I don't think I could have ever pulled off the right answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment