Friday, June 14, 2019

Seif Day 17 vs. Brian (LL) and Ben (LLL)

3/6.  I really don't know what to make of today.  I struggled as much as ever to assign defense despite being up against two people I know well.  I suspect Brian and Ben will struggle (or should have struggled if they didn't) to assign defense to me.  If I were assigning defense to myself, I would likely have given myself a 0 and a 1 for two of the questions I got wrong.  As a result I'm not sure if I'm going to win by a lot, get blown out, or somewhere in between.

1. Museum :), D00.  Is this as easy as it seems?  I saw this question, thought of the answer, and then second-guessed myself because I thought it was too obvious.  Maybe it's not as easy as I think but for some reason was just easy for me.  Greek mythology is hardly one of my strengths.

2. Pizza Hut :), D11.  Phew!  I really thought this was the answer but then tried to second-guess myself with Domino's.

3. Detection, Reconnaissance :(, D21.  Dammit!!!  I missed the Herman Wouk question a couple of days ago despite the fact that I'm reading one of his books now.  And, the Wouk novel that I am reading now (don't worry, this isn't a spoiler) has a whole section about how the British developed radar first in WWII, and still I missed this.

4. Kolkata :(, D32.  I had no shot here.  Kolkata hardly qualifies as a "northern" Indian city, but it was the only Indian city I could think of that's on the Ganges.  This is the first time since my rookie season (when I never spent more than two minutes on the questions) that I've gotten two consecutive geography questions wrong.  Maybe people should start giving me D3s on these!

5. Mettalica :(, D23.  I've never even heard of the correct answer.

6. Oklahoma :), D12.  This was a gimme for me even though I didn't pick up on the word "sooner" in the question, which was a big clue.  This ranks in the top tier of my favorite questions Thorsten has ever come up with.  It's quite clever.  What I really don't know is how hard people will find this.  It is exactly in the area I'm strongest in, so I'm not sure whether people will struggle here.


No comments:

Post a Comment