Monday, June 17, 2019

Jesse Day 18

4/6. Was not sure how to score today. 

1. Lee J. Cobb, E. G. Marshall, and Ed Begley are among the dozen credited cast members of what 1957 Sidney Lumet film?
Correct Answer: TWELVE ANGRY MEN
Your Answer: 12 Angry Men
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

A dozen made this pretty easy for me.I saw the film back in film school. 

2. Diekirch, Clervaux, Grevenmacher, and Esch-sur-Alzette are among the twelve cantons of what European Grand Duchy?
Correct Answer: LUXEMBOURG
Your Answer: Luxembourg
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I was there back in 2000. It was the only country that made sense even though I did not recognize any of those canton names. 

3. The title of what very highly rated "twitch platformer" game released in 2018, while a female first name, is not the name of the main character (which is actually Madeline), but rather the mountain on Vancouver Island that Madeline attempts to climb during the game's story. What is that title?
Correct Answer: CELESTE
Your Answer: Irene
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I had no idea.

4. "Helper", "cytotoxic", and "regulatory" (or "suppressor") are different types of immune cells (lymphocytes) identified by a single letter. This letter is used as it is the first letter of the organ in the immune system where the cells mature. What is that organ?
Correct Answer: THYMUS
Your Answer: Thyroid
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I knew they were T-cells. That was as far as I was going to get. 

5. John D. Rockefeller's consolidation of oil refineries and chartering of Standard Oil in 1870 made what city that era's center of American petroleum production? Using the city's transportation advantages (lakeside location and railroad access), the company would remain there until moving 400 miles east to New York in 1885.
Correct Answer: CLEVELAND
Your Answer: Cleveland
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

400 miles west of NYC and on a lake? That sounds like Cleveland to me. I knew a lot of the early oil discoveries in the US were in PA and Ohio, so it made sense. 

6. The plant of what (perhaps surprisingly) extremely expensive spice is native to Mexico, but made its way to Madagascar by 1840, where 80% of the world's supply is now produced?
Correct Answer: VANILLA
Your Answer: Vanilla
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0  

Gimmie, right? I just knew this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment