Friday, June 21, 2019

Seif Day 22 vs. Jesse (LLL)

Exciting ending to LLL this season with the top 4 players all with 29 points with 4 days left.

3/6 today.  I was really confident of a 4th but was way off on it.  Jesse and my LL opponent are almost complete opposites in strengths, and my D reflects this.  Combined they would be unstoppable.

1. Torres Strait :), D30.  Boom!  Back on track with what I think will be a very hard geography question for non-Antipodes.  But I respect Jesse's geography too much to give him any points here.

2. Havel :), D12.  I had no idea he was a playwright, but Velvet Revolution can only be one thing.  A European history question masquerading as a theater question.

3. My Antonia :(, D03.  I think I deserve some points for being able think of an actual Willa Cather novel, but unfortunately I don't think Thorsten will agree.

4. Copperhead :), D11.  I'm not a big fan of this question.  It confused me, and I think I'm right to be confused.  I thought of "Copperheads" more as an anti-war northern political movement during the Civil War, and now looking afterwards, it seems that this is right.  I didn't think it really had to do with saboteurs, etc., as the question implied.  I debated going with a different answer of some kind, but this seemed like it just had to be it.  Were there really going to be two different reptilian names?  I didn't think so.

5. Piano Man :(, D22.  Really thought I was right here.  I knew (somehow) that Piano Man was from 1973 and that one of Billy Joel's songs contains the sound of a helicopter at the beginning and end.  Too bad.  Getting a random pop music question would have almost certainly put me over the top today.

6. Jennifer :(, D21.  Nope!

No comments:

Post a Comment