Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Seif Day 20 vs. Gideon (LLL)

3/6, which is doubt will be enough against Gideon.  I really, really thought I had 4 here. 

1. Paraguay :), D12.  I didn't know the location of the river, but I was able to work this one out without too much trouble and was very confident.  The first thing was to recognize that the river was in South America.  There was no way it could be North America (no landlocked countries), Europe (would have heard of it), and the name certainly didn't sound African.  That left Paraguay and Bolivia as choices, and given the relative locations of the two, Paraguay was the logical answer.

2. Gaelic Football :(, D33.  Really thought I had this one.  Clearly the names of the players were Irish, so I thought back to maps I've seen of the most popular sport by country, where Ireland alone has Gaelic football.  Too bad.  I think this could easily be the difference between a win and a loss today.

3. Juliet, Romeo :), D11.  Is this really easy, or was it just a fluke for me?  It was a very rare gimme for me in a category I'm not strong in at all.  I struggled to assign D because I'm really not sure if this is a "regular" question or one that 90% of people get right.

4. Dawson's Creek :(, D22.  I've heard of 7th Heaven.  Maybe it would have been my twentieth guess if I could have just kept guessing.  I really had no idea.

5. Wolverine Protocol :(, D21.  Now that I see the answer and looked up where the name came from, I see that I was actually very close.  But it was nothing more than an almost lucky guess.  I had no clue.

6. Perro :), D00.  I'm not sure this is so easy, but both my LL opponent and Gideon are very good in language.  I guessed but felt very confident (not really sure why) that "cane" meant dog in Italian.  But then I have to admit that I wasn't certain how to say dog in Spanish, though I was pretty sure it was perro.  Glad to get this.

No comments:

Post a Comment