Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Jesse day 20

5/6

1. In a baseball box score, the abbreviation "pr" (or "PR") next to a player's name stands for what?
Correct Answer: PINCH RUNNER
Your Answer: Pinch runner
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

Relatively hard baseball question. I used to read the Yankees box score in the NY Times every morning in my youth. PR did not jump out at me right away. My first thought was pitches received, but I did not recall ever seeing that in a box score, just AB. Then I considered the pitchers section of the box score, but that did not match with anything I could think of. I then made a list of P words related to baseball and came up with pinch, as in pinch hitter. Then pinch runner struck me. 

2. A town in southern Zambia, an island in the center of Victoria Falls, a number of rapids in the Congo River between Matadi and Kinshasa, and a mountain range on the northeast border of Lake Malawi in southern Tanzania are all named after what Scottish physician and missionary?
Correct Answer: DAVID LIVINGSTONE
Your Answer: Livingstone
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I've been to Vic Falls. Not sure how hard this is. 

3. Name any of the three bands of which David Crosby, Stephen Stills, or Graham Nash were members of most immediately prior to their eponymous debut release as a trio in 1969.
Correct Answer: THE BYRDS, BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD, THE HOLLIES
Your Answer: The Byrds
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I knew Crosby was in the Byrds because they sing one of my least favorite Dylan covers, Mr. Tambourine Man. The only thing worse... Joan Baez covers of Dylan songs. 

4. A pivotal 1916 insurrection in Dublin, where well over 1,000 Irish nationalists took up arms against British rule, and which led to the proclamation of an Irish Republic (and eventually, an independent Irish state), began on what holiday—after which the event is commonly named?
Correct Answer: EASTER
Your Answer: Valentine's Day
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I knew St Valentine's day massacre was a thing, but it turns out it was in Chicago. 

5. Parian, Pentelic, and Carrara (Luna) are different types of what specific artistic material? Famous works created in this material (and which include this material in their name) are named after Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin.
Correct Answer: MARBLE
Your Answer: Marble
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I knew of Pentelic marble and then confirmed it with Elgin's Marbles, which I saw at the British Museum.

6. Trista Rehn, Ali Fedotowsky, Andi Dorfman, and Becca Kufrin are all women who have appeared on what two reality television series? Note, two answers are required.
Correct Answer: THE BACHELOR, THE BACHELORETTE
Your Answer: The Bachelor and The Bachelorette
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0  

My wife and I watch it together. I will admit I have seen all of these seasons. Hannah B, don't get me started. Tayshia, Hannah G or Demi were the only reasonable choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment