Friday, March 15, 2019

Jesse Day 17

5/6

1. The initial sense of what word, originally derived from Arabic and most commonly used nowadays for a certain type of publication, was "storehouse", and thus its modern literary usage (dating from the 1730s) is as a figurative storehouse of information? 
Correct Answer: MAGAZINE
Your Answer: Magazine
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I wrote down a few different types of publications and immediately knew it had to be magazine as I new it was used for the thing that holds gun ammo. It also sounds like it has non-latin roots. 

2. The unit of astronomical length known as a parsec, equal to 3.26 light years, is a term derived from what other two words, which factor into the distance on which the unit is based?
Correct Answer: PARALLAX, SECOND (ARCSECOND)
Your Answer: Parallex Second
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I was able to pull this from my physics for poets class 20 years ago. 

3. Sinhalese statesman Don Stephen Senanayake was a chief architect of the independence from the British Empire of what island nation, as well as its first Prime Minister?
Correct Answer: SRI LANKA
Your Answer: Sri Lanka
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

I have been there and scored it 0 because I feel as if Thorsten has used the word Sinhalese multiple times before. 

4. In professional basketball in North America, the term "since the merger" typically means since the combination of what two entities?
Correct Answer: NBA, ABA
Your Answer: NBA and ABA
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

Easy basketball question. I love basketball. 

5. Give the stage name of any one of the members of the hip-hop group Migos, all three of whom have released solo hit studio albums in their own right over the past six months.
Correct Answer: QUAVO, OFFSET, TAKEOFF
Your Answer: Chance the Rapper
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

Nope! I have heard of Quavo, but barely. 

6. A 1963 film, directed by Stanley Kramer and featuring a star-studded ensemble cast, is likely the most successful film in Hollywood history whose title includes the same word repeated four times. What is that film's full title?
Correct Answer: IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD
Your Answer: It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2  

Great film. Haven't seen it since film school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment