Friday, March 8, 2019

Jesse day 12

3/6

1. Oku no Hosomichi (The Narrow Road to the Deep North), a combination of prose and haiku written in the late 17th century, is a masterpiece of Japanese literature by what poet?
Correct Answer: MATSUO BASHŌ
Your Answer: Suzuki
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I recognize the name now, but was not going to pull this. Went a popular last name for Japanese baseball players. 

2. What New England Patriots wide receiver won the MVP Award at the 2019 Super Bowl, becoming the first player in history to do so in the same season he was suspended four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances?
Correct Answer: JULIAN EDELMAN
Your Answer: Edelman
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I watched the Superbowl. Took me a while to get Wes Welker out of my head. 

3. For numerous good reasons (including a 1992 acoustic version and the song's inspiration), the classic rock and roll song "Layla" is associated with Eric Clapton, but the song was originally released not by Clapton as a solo artist, but by what band, for which he sang and played guitar?
Correct Answer: DEREK AND THE DOMINOS
Your Answer: Derek and the Dominoes
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

Not sure how hard this is. I really like classic rock so know these things.

4. A county in northern California (and city and valley) and a state in northwest Mexico have the same name except for one letter. Name both. 
Correct Answer: SONOMA, SONORA
Your Answer: Sonoma, Sonora
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

Fun question. I thought of the valleys I knew, thinking initially of Napa, San Fernando, Central, Sonoma. Sonoma sounds like Sonora, Bob's your uncle. 

5. Name the military officer who, in 1933, founded the Nasjonal Samling (National Unity) party, becoming the nominal head of his country's government in 1942.
Correct Answer: VIDKUN QUISLING
Your Answer: Tito
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I could not figure out the language. I thought it might be Finish, but thought this must be someone famous in history. Considered Mao too. I have never heard of this guy. 

6. Often referred to by the shorthand "Moon," what is the full title of Eugene O'Neill's sequel to Long Day's Journey into Night, telling the story of the final wandering, self-destructive days of James Tyrone?
Correct Answer: A MOON FOR THE MISBEGOTTEN
Your Answer: Moon over Miami
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1  

Never heard of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment