Monday, August 30, 2021

Jesse Day 16

3/6

1. One of the thousands of men, recently freed from enslavement, who worked in the 1870s on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway's Big Bend Tunnel in West Virginia is the basis for what mythical hero and steel-driving man?
Correct Answer: JOHN HENRY
Your Answer: John Henry
Points Assigned: 1

First name that came to mind. 

2. The People's Action Party, led by Lee Kuan Yew, dominated politics in what country from the late 1950s through Lee's resignation as prime minister in 1990, a period during which the country became one of the world's most successful economies?
Correct Answer: SINGAPORE
Your Answer: Singapore
Points Assigned: 1

It was that or Taiwan. Singapore felt more right. 

3. What component of the human brain takes its name from the Greek term for "seahorse", due to its similar shape?
Correct Answer: HIPPOCAMPUS
Your Answer: Cerebellum
Points Assigned: 2

I had no idea. I thought sea might be Mer, but that didn't lead me anywhere. 

4. What men's fragrance, introduced in 1982 by Guy Laroche, was noted not only for its fougère scent, but also for its hypermasculine advertising and sleek black metallic bottle?
Correct Answer: DRAKKAR NOIR
Your Answer: Stetson
Points Assigned: 3

Ah. I tried to think of 80's cologne commercials. I could not get the "Easy for You" theme out of my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrTYInVzP78

5. Name the two teams that faced off in both the 2021 CONCACAF Nations League Final and the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Final.
Correct Answer: MEXICO, UNITED STATES
Your Answer: Italy and France
Points Assigned: 2

I do not follow soccer unless it is the world cup, and that I don't follow that closely either. 

6. Beaver Valley Cave—reportedly the only cave in Delaware—was the shooting location representing the cave in rural Vermont that provided the meeting spot for the titular group in what 1989 movie?
Correct Answer: DEAD POETS SOCIETY
Your Answer: Dead Poets Society
Points Assigned: 0

Rural Vermont + titular group made this one an easy guess. I just spent the weekend in Delaware watching a disc golf tournament. 

No comments:

Post a Comment