Thursday, August 19, 2021

David S Day 9 vs. Steiny (LL) and Mirkin (LLL)

Tough questions for me again, and I'm therefore quite happy with a 3/6.  Today is the real battle of the Davids, as I'm up against Steiny and get a rematch against Mirkin, this time in LLL.  Looking at the correct answers, I'm not so thrilled with my D, especially against Steiny.

1. Sunscreen :(, D21.  Harder than I expected.  I saw the "sol" at the end of each word and thought of the sun.  Plus for some reason I took the word "material" to mean something manmade.

2. Pocket Watch :), D23.  I assume this pays.  This was a complete guess and I'm very surprised to get it.  I debated between this and gold teeth, but teeth seemed a bit gross for a classic novel.  Of course my expectation was that both would be wrong.

3. Tithe :(, D02.  No idea at all.

4. Mouse Trap :(, D12.  I have no memory of this commercial.

5. Sri Lanka :), D31.  This may play hard.  I remembered the name (not that I could have recalled it from scratch).  More than that, the ethnicity of the name should leave no doubt as to the best guess for one who knows a little bit about the country.

6. Queen Victoria :), D10.  Only one possibility here.  Not too much of a stretch to guess that "Regina" is named for her.  Easy D0 for Mirkin.

PS Does anyone post here anymore?  Are we really down to five?!

No comments:

Post a Comment