4/6 on an interesting day vs Seif in Rundle C.
1) Chile, Argentina 0/0 Gimme for Dave, and even I knew this one.
2) Holst 1/3 Defending me in classical music is usually easy. It's my worst topic, as most of my classical CD collection consists of Star Wars soundtracks. But one of the two others I own is The Planets by Gustav Holst. This same question was asked a few years ago, so if Dave did his due diligence he'll see I knew it then and defend me low. I'm hoping he's busy working on the Mets' horrendous offense and gives me an easy 3. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he knows this since it was asked before.
3) Shells 2/2 I went with shells because of Abalone, but then as I was about to submit I thought of marbles as Ker-Plunk began to ring a bell. I decided I'd kick myself if I changed a correct answer. So I'm kicking myself for shells instead.
4) Airport Bookstore 3/1 I'm very annoyed at this question. My first thought was "beach read". Now, I know mention of a word in a question does not automatically preclude it from being in the answer. But in this case, "read" is so prominently mentioned, and the question phrased in such a way, that I didn't think "read" would be part of the two word title. The question should have asked for the word which completes the title "____ Read". In which case I would have defended Dave lower. If he read it correctly, I think he gets this and I lose a tight game. <end of complaint>
5) Spaghetti Western 2/2 I had no idea from the core question, but have heard the term and the Italian hints brought it to mind. If Dave has heard of the term, he'll parse the clue, but I'm guessing he hasn't.
6) Morphine 1/1 The Sandman by Neil Gaiman, featuring the god of dreams, is an all-time comic book classic. But I think Morpheus is general knowledge anyway.
Bad defense by both of us, and I eke out a win 6(4)-5(3) . Dave, hopefully the Citi Field crowd can light a fire under our team this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment