Friday, December 6, 2019

Jesse day 15

4/6

1. A type of roll invented in Vienna (and thus also known as a Vienna roll) is believed to have been given a name in honor of Emperor Franz Josef I of Austria in the 19th century. What is that name?
Correct Answer: KAISER ROLL
Your Answer: Kaiser Roll
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I had no idea and was about to submit Emperor Roll when Kaiser hit my brain and it was suddenly obvious. That would have been a bad miss. 

2. What geographic term, derived from Greek and used since classical times, was the title of a 1961 work by the French geographer Jean Gottmann in specific reference to the extended metro area in the Northeast United States between Boston and Washington (later referred to as BosWash)?
Correct Answer: MEGALOPOLIS
Your Answer: Megaopolis
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

This is what immediately came to mind. I read many articles on Geography and remembered this book being referenced in one of them. 

3. An international association of artists from the mid-20th century living in Europe (specifically, in Copenhagen, Brussels, and Amsterdam), who aimed to promote organic experimentation and free expression of the unconscious, had a name it shared (coincidentally) with what specific type of venomous reptile?
Correct Answer: COBRA
Your Answer: Cobra
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I thought of venomous reptiles and the three that came to mind were Viper, Cobra and Gila. Viper does not have an A for artist so I was left with Cobra and Gila. Then I looked at the cities again and saw Copenhagen, Brussels, Amsterdam... CBA. Cobra it is. 

4. Yellow is the musical note C-sharp, blue is E, red is A, and green is also E (but one octave below blue) in what game launched in 1978?
Correct Answer: SIMON
Your Answer: Breakout
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

Nope!

5. Phobos and Deimos were twin sons of what god of ancient Greece? (Note, you may also answer with the name of the god's Roman counterpart, with whom the sons may be more closely associated today.)
Correct Answer: ARES/MARS
Your Answer: Mars
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I was pretty sure Phobos was a moon of Mars. 

6. What is the name of the titular Mobile Suit (a manned robot) in a popular anime series that debuted in Japan in 1979 and spawned an iconic international multimedia franchise of the same name that continues to produce in abundance among various formats to this day?
Correct Answer: GUNDAM
Your Answer: Ghibili
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3  

My favorite podcaster Griffin McElroy gave an intro to Ghibili fest for Spirited Away this past week. I was hoping that was where the name came from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment