Monday, December 3, 2018

Jesse day 11

2/6

1. The short-lived Fox network drama Gracepoint was an adaptation of what British drama series, which also starred David Tennant and featured Olivia Colman in the role held by Anna Gunn in the American counterpart?
Correct Answer: BROADCHURCH
Your Answer: Luther
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I have heard of the show, but could not come up with the name. 

2. Janet Gaynor and Fredric March appear, as an aspiring movie actress and an alcoholic whose movie career is waning, in the original 1937 version of what film?
Correct Answer: A STAR IS BORN
Your Answer: A Star is Born
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

Never saw any version of the film, but I knew that it had been made several times and that was the basic premise. 

3. What company, whose current headquarters sit across the river from the Loop in downtown Chicago, was incorporated in 1916 as Pacific Aero Products Co.?
Correct Answer: BOEING
Your Answer: Wallgreens
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I wanted to put down Boeing, but I assumed they were headquartered in the Seattle area so had ruled them out. 

4. The Indian Removal Act of 1830 authorized the U.S. government's forced relocation of a set of native tribes that inhabited the southeastern U.S. and were dubbed (ethnocentrically and rather offensively) the Five Civilized Tribes, so named due to their relative adaptation to the European lifestyle. Two of these tribes were the Cherokee and the Creek; name any one of the other three.
Correct Answer: CHICKASAW, CHOCTAW, SEMINOLE
Your Answer: Shawnee
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I could have and should have gotten Seminole from college football. 

5. While it (like many alloys) contains a certain amount of copper, and though the word itself comes from a term for zinc, the alloy pewter is actually composed mostly (from 85% to 99%) of what other element?
Correct Answer: TIN
Your Answer: Nickle
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

Nope!

6. Give either the current, romanized name of the major port city on the Pearl River in South China where Cantonese is spoken (and in fact was once known as Canton), or the province in which the city is located?
Correct Answer: GUANGZHOU/GUANGDONG
Your Answer: Guagzhou
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2  

I had typo when spelling it out, but I think that will count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment