Monday, December 3, 2018

Ben day 11

Completely butchered by Seif today. 1/6. 4(4) on defense at least.

1 :( Bodyguard. The name of that show sounds distantly familiar. No shot here.
2 :( sunset Boulevard. I wasted a lot of time here trying to work out if the movie was connected to Birdman. I don't know if it was.
3 :( pepsi. Thought process: 100 year old American aviation company. Well, clearly not Boeing which is in Seattle. What else. Lockheed Martin? McDonell Douglas? Hmm no company is going to change its name from something generic to a family name. How about airlines. Try every airline I can think of. None made sense. Ok pacific aero. Maybe air mail to the West from the East. Thought though all types of shipping and logistics and transport companies. None made sense. Ok let's try and work with that name. PAP. Nada. What if I sound it out. *starts playing with syllables* eventually...  oh Pep.  But Pepsi's hq is in Westchester. Right? Right? Hmm, maybe that is a regional hq not a national hq. Nah, pretty sure it is national. Maybe carbonation used to be called aeration. Seems like the best I've got. But the hq location doesn't make sense. Could it be sears?  Repeat the entire thought process above 3 or 4 times and eventually go with Pepsi. If only I'd questioned Boeing's hq location as much as I questioned Pepsi's hq location. 
4 :( Miami. I knew there were Miamis in Florida and Ohio so I thought maybe they were relocated. Beat out chinook as my alternative wrong answer as the namesake of a helicopter that I didn't know much about (I didn't think it was apache, tomahawk or Iroquois). I knew there was a Floridian Indian tribe that was a likely suspect (Seminole) from references kn Carl Hiaasen books but I couldn't remember the name
5 :) tin. I know what pewter is.
6 :( Hong Kong. My starting point is that Canton was Mao's 3rd city after Peking and shanghai in civ1. Given that I knew Peking was Beijing, that ruled out those 2 cities, compounded by the geographical hint. So my immediate thought was guangzhou. Is Guangzhou on the Pearl River? No idea. But I know Hong Kong and Macau are on the mouth of the pearl river. Canton sounded more like Hong Kong than it does like Guangzhou. But does it make sense that Cantonese is named after Hong Kong? Seems a bit shaky. Then I started listing off other Chinese cities and states, half of which were probably neither, but none of them sounded right. Then I fixated on the term 'South China' rather than Thorsten saying southern China which kinda implied the region as opposed to a part of the country which led me to the former colonial status of Hong Kong so I went with that. 

Seldom have I expended so much thought on 3 questions in 1 day for zero reward. Amazingly, if I'd just hit Seminole I would have snuck a draw with Seif, though that was the least likely of my 3 agonized thought processes.

I feel like I go down these rabbit holes for zero reward way more frequently than the rest of you do. Or do you just not post about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment