Friday, November 22, 2019

Seif Day 8 vs. Pelc (LLL)

6/6.  Sweet!  A physics question, a geography question, an American history question, and a pop music question from one of the very few areas I know about.  What else could I ask for?

1. Transverse :), D13.  Straight out of physics class.

2. Ramekin :), D11.  I use these often when cooking.  I thought this was a relatively common word, but maybe not.

3. Colombia, Brazil :), D22.  I actually thought Peru crossed the equator at the very top, but given that the question said "the two," the answer was clear.

4. Hoover :), D32.  This was a lot of fun.  I went president by president and was pretty certain I was right when I was done.  I eliminated Wilson and everyone before as being too old.  Truman was born west of the Mississippi, but 1874 was too early a birth year for him.  FDR was not born in Iowa, of course.  I considered Harding, but he died in his 50s, and 1874 would have made him 48 or 49 when he died, so the birth year was too late.  That left Coolidge and Hoover, and the birth year made sense for either of them.  Coolidge was from Massachusetts, so my guess was that he was born there (actually, it was Vermont I now see).  So that left only Hoover.

5. Gretsky :), D20.  Straight up wild guess.  This was the equivalent of guessing "Smith" on a question.

6. Lithium :), D01.  A Nirvana song that is an element is one of the rare easy pop music questions for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment