Monday, November 18, 2019

Jesse day 4

4/6

1. Who is the only basketball head coach to win both an NCAA tournament championship and an NBA championship (in 1988 and 2004, respectively)?
Correct Answer: LARRY BROWN
Your Answer: Larry Brown
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I think this is hard if you don't closely follow the NBA. I knew 2004 was the year Detroit won and I was pretty sure he had one one at either Kansas or UNC. He coached a lot of NBA teams including Philly. While I could picture him, It took me a while to pull his name.

2. With its 14th season that premiered in September 2019, what television series tied The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet as the longest-running live-action sitcom in American TV history (and extended its lead among such series that include the name of a city in their titles)?
Correct Answer: IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA
Your Answer: It's always Sunny in Philadelphia
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I have watched every episode, but I had a hard time believing it had been around this long. Then I remembered that I watched the first two or three seasons on DVD in 2008 living in my first apartment in DC. 14 years made sense and I could not think of another sitcom with a city's name in it. King of Queens was one consideration, but I thought that must have been canceled by now. 

3. The term in biology for material inside a cell's nucleus, within the nuclear membrane, is the nucleoplasm. Likewise, what is the term for everything else in the cell— that is, all the stuff within the cell membrane surrounding the cell's nucleus?
Correct Answer: CYTOPLASM
Your Answer: Exoplasm
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

Nope! 

4. What is the common name for the oil from the seeds of flax (also known simply as flax oil or flaxseed oil), which is historically the most common medium in oil painting?
Correct Answer: LINSEED OIL
Your Answer: Linseed
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I knew this from somewhere.

5. What is the name (in English) for the confederation of sovereign nations established following a momentous 1991 summit in the Belorussian oblast of Brest?
Correct Answer: COMMONWEALTH OF INDEPENDENT STATES
Your Answer: Eastern Block
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I had no idea, but that does seem familiar. 

6. In a victory (both legal and spiritual) for the indigenous Anangu people, rules are in place as of October 26, 2019, banning the climbing of what, with violators facing fines of up to A$630?
Correct Answer: ULURU (AYERS ROCK)
Your Answer: Uluru
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0  

I climbed it in 1998 and as I was climbing I remember it felt pretty dangerous. There were young kids and old men pulling themselves up and they could have easily fallen to their deaths. I saw the news articles recently about it closing for climbing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment