Thursday, November 21, 2019

Jesse day 7

4/6. A 6/6 seems very gettable.

1. Joan Crawford won her only Academy Award for Best Actress for portraying a character who was later played by Kate Winslet in a 2011 HBO miniseries. What was the name of this titular anti-heroine, who originated in the 1941 novel of the same name by James M. Cain?
Correct Answer: MILDRED PIERCE
Your Answer: Mildred Pierce
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

This was the only Joan Crawford film I could remember from film school and I vaguely remembered that HBO had turned it into a mini-series. 

2. What is the instrument, common in many everyday machines, that measures angular speed, and in particular the number of revolutions (per unit of time) made by a rotating shaft? The name was coined by Bryan Donkin, a British engineer credited as the instrument's inventor.
Correct Answer: TACHOMETER
Your Answer: Donkinmeter
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

Before submitting the word tachometer came into my  head, but I ignored it foolishly. 

3. The Special Reserve of the Royal Irish Constabulary, a force established by the British government to help the royal police break the IRA during the Irish War of Independence, was known colloquially by what name, after the makeshift uniforms they wore? Due to their notorious tactics and brutal legacy, one should probably never order a drink by this name in the Republic of Ireland, despite the fact that it is traditionally made with a beloved Irish beverage.
Correct Answer: BLACK AND TANS
Your Answer: Car Bomb
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

Ohhhh. That makes much more sense than a car bomb. I haven't had a black and tan for a long time. 

4. What, according to Virgil, was commissioned by Ulysses (who was inspired in a dream by Athena), constructed by the Greek craftsman Epeius, conveyed by Sinon, and questioned by Laocoön?
Correct Answer: TROJAN HORSE
Your Answer: Trojan Horse
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

What else could it be. 

5. Since January 26, 2009, all four of the permanent (as opposed to "acting") US Ambassadors to the UN have been women. Name either one of those ambassadors who were appointed the position by President Barack Obama.
Correct Answer: SUSAN RICE, SAMANTHA POWER
Your Answer: Susan Rice
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

I could have named them both. I can only name one of Trump's picks. 

6. Pine Valley, NJ; Oakmont, PA; Mullen, NE; Kohler, WI; Medinah, IL; and Ponte Vedra Beach, FL are all linked in their association with what sport?
Correct Answer: GOLF
Your Answer: Golf
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

This was a guess, but I thought I remembered Oakmont and Pine valley as golf clubs. 


Jesse Weisz   Executive Director
GEEO Teacher Travel Programs
p:  1-877-600-0105
m:  202-725-2151
w:  www.GEEO.org
e:  jesse@geeo.org
a:  700 E. Main St., Norristown, PA 19401 

No comments:

Post a Comment