Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Jesse day 1

Good to be back! 5/6 to start things off.

Rachel Lindgren, who was on Jeopardy's tournament  of champions this past week is in C rundle with me and I played her today! 



1. The Gulf of Aden and the Gulf of Oman are branches of what marginal sea of the Indian Ocean?
Correct Answer: ARABIAN SEA
Your Answer: Arabian Sea
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

My first thought was persian Gulf, but that isn't a Sea and the Gulf of Adan is the South of Yemen. I tried to think of a Sea and then Arabian Sea came to mind. I was about 50% sure I didn't just make that up. 

2. Airstrip One (formerly known as Great Britain) is located within the state of Oceania, which is itself one of the three major powers (along with Eurasia and Eastasia) in what novel?
Correct Answer: NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR (1984)
Your Answer: 1984
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I read it three years ago. 

3. A cover version of Steve Winwood's 1986 hit single "Higher Love" was recorded but unreleased (except as a bonus track in Japan) until it was remixed by the Norwegian DJ Kygo in 2019 and posthumously released as a single in June. Who recorded this cover back in 1990?
Correct Answer: WHITNEY HOUSTON
Your Answer: Tupac Shakur
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I had no idea. That makes more sense. 

4. German engineer Tobias Schmidt, working with French physician Antoine Louis, invented and built the prototype for a device first known as a louisette. This device was later (and is still today, perhaps unfairly) known by what other name, after another French physician and politician who proposed its broader use in 1789?
Correct Answer: GUILLOTINE
Your Answer: Guillotine
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

1789 is the french revolution and it mentioned it was made by a physician/politician. Guillotine made sense. 

5. Identify the city missing from this complete list: 1/A: Boston; 2/B: New York; 3/C: Philadelphia; 4/D: Cleveland; 5/E: Richmond; 6/F: Atlanta; 7/G: Chicago; 8/H: St. Louis; 9/I: Minneapolis; 10/J: Kansas City; 11/K: Dallas; 12/L: ____________.
Correct Answer: SAN FRANCISCO
Your Answer: San Francisco
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I had no idea and I still have no idea what this is referring to. I just guessed SF as another major city going Westward. I considered LA and Denver too. 

6. A model known as CIECAM02, designed in 2002 by the Vienna-based International Commission on Illumination to accurately model human color perception, defines six dimensions of color appearance, five of which are brightness, lightness, colorfulness, chroma, and saturation. The sixth dimension, which CIECAM02 defines as "the degree to which a stimulus can be described as similar to or different from stimuli that are described as red, green, blue, and yellow", is what three-letter word?
Correct Answer: HUE
Your Answer: Hue
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0  

Seemed obvious. Gimmie?

No comments:

Post a Comment