It's unfortunate that Ben and I only play each other twice this season. The odds (I won't take the time to actually calculate it) were very high that Ben and I would play each other either 3 or 4 times this season, so just twice was a very disappointing outcome.
4/6 today.
1. Weld :), D23. Gimme. If I were designing a question to appear on a day I play Ben, I'm not sure I could have come up with a better one than this one. It perfectly hits one of those very few areas where I'm strong and Ben is weak. Ben will have to waste his D0 on this for me, while I get to confidently give him a D3. When I saw this question, my thought, which I'm glad to share, was that my hat will truly be off to Ben if he pulls off a win despite this hugely advantageous first question for me.
2. Pentagon :), D30. Phew! This certainly should have been a gimme for me (as it will be for Ben), but I was worried I was mixed up here. Thankfully, it wasn't an issue.
3. Forward :), D11. How hard is this, even among the posters on this blog who are, shall we say, mostly Members of the Tribe? I knew this, but it was not at all easy for me. It's a real gap in my knowledge. I think perhaps the only reason I got it was that I read an article in what must have been 2005 speculating on the reason Sharon chose "Kadima" as his party's name. Not that anyone thought it was named after the newspaper, just that it was featured in the article, and I remember thinking then that I'd never heard of it. Luckily it stuck there.
4. Morning News :(, D22. Wasn't even on the right track.
5. Succotash :), D11. I spent most of my time on this. I was completely thrown by the Narragansett reference, which made me think of Rhode Island since it's a town there. But when I just focused on "a stew of lima beans and corn" along with a name origin that could be American Indian, it wasn't that hard.
6. Scarlet Letter :(, D12. A bit frustrating here. I spent time here because I knew Hawthorne wrote something with the word "Gable" in it. But once I'd convinced myself I couldn't think of it, I went with the only book of his I did know.
4/6 today.
1. Weld :), D23. Gimme. If I were designing a question to appear on a day I play Ben, I'm not sure I could have come up with a better one than this one. It perfectly hits one of those very few areas where I'm strong and Ben is weak. Ben will have to waste his D0 on this for me, while I get to confidently give him a D3. When I saw this question, my thought, which I'm glad to share, was that my hat will truly be off to Ben if he pulls off a win despite this hugely advantageous first question for me.
2. Pentagon :), D30. Phew! This certainly should have been a gimme for me (as it will be for Ben), but I was worried I was mixed up here. Thankfully, it wasn't an issue.
3. Forward :), D11. How hard is this, even among the posters on this blog who are, shall we say, mostly Members of the Tribe? I knew this, but it was not at all easy for me. It's a real gap in my knowledge. I think perhaps the only reason I got it was that I read an article in what must have been 2005 speculating on the reason Sharon chose "Kadima" as his party's name. Not that anyone thought it was named after the newspaper, just that it was featured in the article, and I remember thinking then that I'd never heard of it. Luckily it stuck there.
4. Morning News :(, D22. Wasn't even on the right track.
5. Succotash :), D11. I spent most of my time on this. I was completely thrown by the Narragansett reference, which made me think of Rhode Island since it's a town there. But when I just focused on "a stew of lima beans and corn" along with a name origin that could be American Indian, it wasn't that hard.
6. Scarlet Letter :(, D12. A bit frustrating here. I spent time here because I knew Hawthorne wrote something with the word "Gable" in it. But once I'd convinced myself I couldn't think of it, I went with the only book of his I did know.
No comments:
Post a Comment