Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Jesse Day 20

4/6

1. A Mesopotamian goddess of war, justice, and sexual love has a name that, particularly in the West, is more associated today (unfortunately for her) with a massive Hollywood flop that Roger Ebert described as "a lifeless, massive, lumbering exercise in failed comedy." What is that name?
Correct Answer: ISHTAR
Your Answer: Ishtar
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

Ishtar is a goddess and a very famous flop. Not sure if this is hard. 

2. What word from acoustics, synonymous with tone quality or tone color, is defined as the character of a sound, distinct from its pitch and intensity? It's what makes two sounds with the same pitch and intensity distinguishable from each other.
Correct Answer: TIMBRE
Your Answer: Timber
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

I spelled it wrong, but pretty sure that will accepted. I first thought "Shape" but then came around to the right answer as shape didn't seem exclusive to accoustics. 

3. The populist political parties the Five Star Movement and the League, having earned the most votes in the general election held on March 4, 2018, formed a coalition government that is now in place in what country?
Correct Answer: ITALY
Your Answer: Italy
Points Assigned: 1
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 1

This has been in the news over the past few months. I listened to a podcast about it. 

4. The novels The Deerslayer, The Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder, The Pioneers, and The Prairie, which are ordered here by plot chronology and all feature fictional frontiersman Natty Bumppo, are collectively known as what "Tales," after a nickname used for Bumppo in The Pioneers (the first novel published)?
Correct Answer: THE LEATHERSTOCKING TALES
Your Answer: Sisqo
Points Assigned: 3
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 3

I had no idea. 

5. Name the stadium, located in its namesake London neighborhood, that is owned by the English Football Association and serves as home pitch for England's national team?
Correct Answer: WEMBLEY STADIUM
Your Answer: Waverly
Points Assigned: 2
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 2

I thought it started with a W. It did. I was was still wrong. 

6. Identify the Anglican cleric—the Bishop of Johannesburg beginning in 1985 and then Archbishop of Cape Town from 1986 to 1996—who was named chair of South Africa's post-apartheid Truth and Reconciliation Commission in 1995.
Correct Answer: DESMOND TUTU
Your Answer: Desmond Tutu
Points Assigned: 0
Points Assigned to Private Opp: 0

I drove past his house in Soweto in 2010. 

No comments:

Post a Comment