Thursday, November 18, 2021

Jesse day 9

5/6

1. Rent-a-Car Crash-up Derby, Alligator Tightrope, Shopping Cart Attack, Wasabi Snooters, and Golf Course Airhorn are a few of the dozens of segments from a 2002 film. Name that film, or the earlier television series from which it spun off.
Correct Answer: JACKASS: THE MOVIE/JACKASS
Your Answer: Jackass
Points Assigned: 0

You had me at Rent-a-Car Crash-up Derby. You had me at Rent-a-Car Crash-up Derby!

2. Although mass and energy can be converted into one another, the total quantity of mass and energy in a system must remain constant. This conservation law in physics is reflected in Einstein's famous equation where e is energy, m is mass, and c represents what?
Correct Answer: SPEED OF LIGHT (IN A VACUUM)
Your Answer: Speed of light
Points Assigned: 1

I took three astrophysics for poets classes in college. 

3. Unimak, Umnak, and Attu are among the largest islands in what island chain and volcanic island arc, known natively as Unangam Tanaa?
Correct Answer: ALEUTIAN ISLANDS
Your Answer: Aluetian Islands
Points Assigned: 2

I recognized Attu island from a google earth presentation I created for my non-profit's trip to Alaska we ran this past summer. Attu is the furthest island from Alaska's mainland, yet is not the westernmost part in the state because it is on the other side of the international date line, so is one of the easternmost parts of the US. 

4. Prussian Johann Gottlieb Goldberg, an 18th century composer and harpsichordist to Russian Count Hermann Karl von Keyserlingk of the Duchy of Courland and Semigallia, died of tuberculosis at age 29 in 1756, and is most remembered today thanks to a 1741 composition by whom?
Correct Answer: JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH
Your Answer: Bach
Points Assigned: 2

I remember my parents had a record growing up called the Goldberg variations of Bach. I had always assumed that Goldberg was a 20th-century musician but with this question I learned, he was a contemporary of Bach's. 

5. What is the term used for the underground burial galleries of the Roman Empire, used most often (but not always) for Christian burials? The word today is often used for any subterranean cemetery and sometimes for underground passageways in general.
Correct Answer: CATACOMBS
Your Answer: Catacombs
Points Assigned: 1

Seems like a gimmie. 

6. In 1673, during his performance in the title role of a play he wrote while ill, Molière collapsed, and he died later that day. The play, perhaps ironically, has a title often translated into English as The _____ Invalid (provide the adjective—a direct cognate from the original French title—that fills in the blank).
Correct Answer: IMAGINARY
Your Answer: Sickly
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment