Friday, November 19, 2021

Jesse day 10

4/6

1. What is the two-word phrase for the property of a liquid where the molecules at its exterior edge show a strong inward attraction, with these cohesive forces forming an apparent outer membrane across the edge?
Correct Answer: SURFACE TENSION
Your Answer: Surface Tension
Points Assigned: 2

This one was at the tip of my tongue for a while, but I was able to get it. 

2. Derived from the French verb meaning "to spin thread", what is the four-letter name of the herb—dried sassafras leaves reduced to powder—that can be used to thicken and flavor soups, stews, and, most notably, gumbo?
Correct Answer: FILÉ
Your Answer: Roux
Points Assigned: 1

Never heard of it. I didn't think Roux was an ingredient, but it was the best four-letter word related to Gumbo I could come up with. 

3. The Nereids, Naiads, Dryads, Oceanids, and Napaeae were among the groups of minor divinities in Greek mythology who are collectively classified by what term, from the Greek for "bride" or "young wife"?
Correct Answer: NYMPH
Your Answer: Sprites
Points Assigned: 3

Nope. I am reading a book about Greek and Roman history right now and I am sure the author has used the word Nymph many times. 

4. With the christening of the Chiefs' home in March 2021 as GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium, there remain exactly three stadiums that are primary homes to NFL teams and are not named after a corporate entity. Give the full name (city and team name) of any <em>one</em> of the three <em>teams</em> that play in these three stadiums.
Correct Answer: CHICAGO BEARS, CINCINNATI BENGALS, GREEN BAY PACKERS
Your Answer: Green Bay Packers
Points Assigned: 0

Green Bay and Chicago were easy. There is no way I would have come up with Cincinnatti as I do not watch football anymore. 

5. Although originally included in the 1963 establishment of the Federation of Malaysia, which of the country's fourteen states was forced to secede—and form its own nation—in 1965 due (at least in part) to fears that its largely Chinese population would challenge Malay political dominance?
Correct Answer: SINGAPORE
Your Answer: Singapore
Points Assigned: 2

It was Singapore or Brunei, and Singapore made more sense given the Chinese clue. 

6. Rose Marie, George Gobel, Vincent Price, and, most centrally, Paul Lynde were stars that appeared regularly on the classic version of what game show?
Correct Answer: HOLLYWOOD SQUARES
Your Answer: Hollywood Squares
Points Assigned: 1

"Centrally" gave it away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment