Thursday, March 9, 2023

Jesse Day 17

5/6

1. The Little Dipper is an asterism comprised of the seven brightest stars of the constellation Ursa Minor. Those seven are Delta Ursae Minoris, Epsilon Ursae Minoris, Zeta Ursae Minoris, Eta Ursae Minoris, Gamma Ursae Minoris, Beta Ursae Minoris, and Alpha Ursae Minoris. The last of these is known more commonly as what?

Correct Answer: POLARIS/NORTH STAR/POLESTAR
Your Answer: Polaris
Points Assigned: 1

It was the first thing that came to mind. 

2. What word is included in the titles of television series that have run in the United States (beginning in 2002), Australia (2003), Canada (2003), India (2004), and numerous other countries, starting with the original in Great Britain (premiering in 2001)?
Correct Answer: IDOL
Your Answer: Idol
Points Assigned: 0

The timing seemed right for the US and I knew it was used in other countries. 

3. The seat of the French Senate since 1958 is a Palais built in the early 17th century that has the name of what other country?
Correct Answer: LUXEMBOURG
Your Answer: Luxembourg
Points Assigned: 2

I just knew this. I can't remember how I knew it though. 

4. "And the [REDACTED] of Renoir's title is the notion that the upper classes somehow stand above war." The preceding is from critic Roger Ebert's 1999 review/retrospective of what 1937 film?
Correct Answer: LA GRANDE ILLUSION (THE GRAND ILLUSION)
Your Answer: All is Quiet on the Western Front
Points Assigned: 3

I had no idea and I was a film major. This is going to play hard. 

5. What word links the process by which the communist regime collapsed in Czechoslovakia in 1989, rock bands that formed in New York City in 1964 and California in 2002, and a young equestrienne from a novel in 1935?
Correct Answer: VELVET
Your Answer: Velvet
Points Assigned: 2

I knew the Czech revolution was the Velvet revolution. Confirmed by Velvet Underground and American Velvet. 

6. Early-18th-century Jewish mystic Israel ben Eliezer, known as Baal Shem Tov ("Master of the Good Name"), founded what conservative and pietist movement within Judaism, which was centered in Eastern Europe until World War II and is centered now mostly in Israel and the US?
Correct Answer: HASIDISM
Your Answer: Hasidic
Points Assigned: 1

I think they will accept Hasidic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment