Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Jesse Day 15

4/6

1. Beginning around 2000 BCE, a seminomadic and warlike Central Asian people migrated into the Indian subcontinent from the northwest, and there they established the social hierarchy known as the caste system, developed Sanskrit, and composed the Vedas (which form the basis for Hinduism). By what name are these people known, a term that translates as "noble ones"?

Correct Answer: ARYANS
Your Answer: Aryans
Points Assigned: 2

It was easy for me to remember this fact because of the Nazi connection.

2. Alpha Repertory Television Service, a cable TV network in the US owned by a Hearst Corporationâ€"ABC joint venture, merged with NBC-owned The Entertainment Channel to form a basic cable network best known today by what name?
Correct Answer: A&E
Your Answer: TBS
Points Assigned: 1

Oh, that makes sense. I forgot A&E existed. 

3. Alexander Pope's 1711 An Essay on Criticism, published anonymously when Pope was 22 years old, is remembered for its literary criticism as well as its polished epigrams, which included "A little learning is a dangerous thing", "To err is human, to forgive, divine", and "Fools rush in where [REDACTED]". What four words are redacted from the last example?
Correct Answer: ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD
Your Answer: a new Appblebee's opens
Points Assigned: 2

I am familiar with the phrase, but could not pull it. 

4. What word, an adjective that means "ancient" or "antiquated", comes from the Latin for "before" and "flood" (referring to the biblical story of Noah's Ark)?
Correct Answer: ANTEDILUVIAN
Your Answer: Antediluvian
Points Assigned: 3

Was really happy to get this one. Wonder how it will play. 

5. A vibrant 1973 film review and invective in the Village Voice describes what John Waters "gilded torrent of filth" as a clash "between two families, each in the thrall of a superbitch, who opposes the other on the issue of which of them is the world's filthiest woman"? (Incidental note: the review is positive towards the film.)
Correct Answer: PINK FLAMINGOS
Your Answer: Pink Flamingoes
Points Assigned: 1

I don't think I have ever seen it, but I know that is John Waters most famous film. 

6. The band of tissue that connects the plantaris, gastrocnemius, and soleus to the calcaneus is commonly named after whom?
Correct Answer: ACHILLES
Your Answer: Achilles
Points Assigned: 0

My first thought was I have no idea what any of those are other than plantaris, which is probably foot. I am actually reading about Greek Myths right now and Achilles came to mind and I knew it must be right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment