Monday, March 6, 2023

Jesse day 14

3/6 Great questions today. 

1. From March 1995 to December 1996, the president of Greece and a senior advisor for Policy and Strategy for US President Bill Clinton had the same last name, which is what?

Correct Answer: STEPHANOPOULOS
Your Answer: Stephanopolis
Points Assigned: 1

If you are not at least as old as I am, you have no shot at this question. 

2. Charles Laughton, Tom Hulce, Mandy Patinkin, Anthony Hopkins, and Lon Chaney are among the actors who have portrayed in movies a tragic Parisian hero with what name? (Note, the actual name is required.)
Correct Answer: QUASIMODO
Your Answer: Jean Valjean
Points Assigned: 0

Damn.

3. What word in golf is often used (technically incorrectly) to refer to any golf course but specifically refers most often to a seaside course (usually in the British Isles) with firm, sandy soil?
Correct Answer: LINKS
Your Answer: Links
Points Assigned: 2

I was sure this would be wrong, but I could not think of an alternative. 

4. Identify the small West African country whose name, upon its declaration of independence in 1973, came to include the name of the country’s capital city, to distinguish the country from a larger neighbor.
Correct Answer: GUINEA-BISSAU
Your Answer: Benin
Points Assigned: 2

Oh, I was excited for Benin City and did not think deeply about the clue. This makes sense. Will be a hard get though. 

5. In early January 2023, Chef René Redzepi announced that he will close his influential Michelin three-star restaurant in Copenhagen for regular service at the end of 2024. This restaurant, which is widely regarded as best restaurant in the world (and in fact topped the prestigious World's 50 Best Restaurants list a record five times), has what name—an abbreviation of the Danish words for "Nordic" and "food"?
Correct Answer: NOMA
Your Answer: Noma
Points Assigned: 3

I ate at Noma for a business meeting when I was a consultant working in Copenhagen in the mid-2000s. I read an article or two about their closing. 

6. The famous and iconic monolithic human figures carved by the people of Rapa Nui between 350 and 950 years ago are known by a name that comes from the Rapa Nui language for "statue". What is that name?
Correct Answer: MOAI
Your Answer: Moa
Points Assigned: 1

Shoot. I have been to Chile, but never Easter Island. 

Jesse Weisz   Executive Director
GEEO Teacher Travel Programs
p:  1-877-600-0105
m:  202-725-2151
w:  www.GEEO.org
e:  jesse@geeo.org
a:  700 E. Main St., Suite 100, Norristown, PA 19401
pro:  He/Him/His

No comments:

Post a Comment