I am back from a short vacation to Taranaki, home to one of the best Google Maps spots in the world. I went 5/6 in matches 4 and 5, and 4/6 today.
1. A nickname for the CBS television network refers both to its once-renowned reputation for high-quality broadcast journalism and to the retailer whose former New York flagship building famously hosted CBS's color-television demonstrations in 1950. What is the company that inspired this nickname?
Correct Answer: TIFFANY & CO.
Your Answer: Tiffany
Points Assigned: 2
Correct Answer: TIFFANY & CO.
Your Answer: Tiffany
Points Assigned: 2
The Tiffany Network! I have heard this many times, but I expect this to be difficult to many.
2. Originating in 14th-century Middle Dutch, what word is used as a general term for equipment used in fishing, particularly for recreational use? It has a very different meaning when applied in other areas of sport.
Correct Answer: TACKLE
Your Answer: Tackle
Points Assigned: 0
Gimmie? I don't fish and I knew this right away.
3. Sculptor Robert Smithson's 1970 land art installation in Utah's Great Salt Lake used 6,650 tons of rock and earth to create a 1,500-foot-long structure protruding into the water. What type of structure is it, according to its name?
Correct Answer: (SPIRAL) JETTY
Your Answer: Wall
Points Assigned: 2
2. Originating in 14th-century Middle Dutch, what word is used as a general term for equipment used in fishing, particularly for recreational use? It has a very different meaning when applied in other areas of sport.
Correct Answer: TACKLE
Your Answer: Tackle
Points Assigned: 0
Gimmie? I don't fish and I knew this right away.
3. Sculptor Robert Smithson's 1970 land art installation in Utah's Great Salt Lake used 6,650 tons of rock and earth to create a 1,500-foot-long structure protruding into the water. What type of structure is it, according to its name?
Correct Answer: (SPIRAL) JETTY
Your Answer: Wall
Points Assigned: 2
I had no idea. Once I heard the answer I was able to picture it in my head.
4. The work often cited as the first modern detective story (though it predates the use of "detective" as a profession) is an 1841 tale that involved, per its title, crimes against Madame L'Espanaye and her daughter Camille on what thoroughfare?
Correct Answer: RUE MORGUE
Your Answer: Champ de Elysee
Points Assigned: 3
I had no idea.
5. What man holds the record as the longest-serving governor in Massachusetts history, and was also the second Greek American to be elected a U.S. state governor (after Maryland's Spiro T. Agnew)?
Correct Answer: MICHAEL DUKAKIS
Your Answer: Michael Dukakis
Points Assigned: 1
4. The work often cited as the first modern detective story (though it predates the use of "detective" as a profession) is an 1841 tale that involved, per its title, crimes against Madame L'Espanaye and her daughter Camille on what thoroughfare?
Correct Answer: RUE MORGUE
Your Answer: Champ de Elysee
Points Assigned: 3
I had no idea.
5. What man holds the record as the longest-serving governor in Massachusetts history, and was also the second Greek American to be elected a U.S. state governor (after Maryland's Spiro T. Agnew)?
Correct Answer: MICHAEL DUKAKIS
Your Answer: Michael Dukakis
Points Assigned: 1
The most prominent Greek politician I could think of. I was pretty sure he came out of Mass.
6. The Montreal Protocol of 1987, which became the first universally ratified treaty in United Nations history and is widely regarded as the most successful international environmental agreement, was established specifically to preserve the presence of what inorganic allotrope?
Correct Answer: OZONE
Your Answer: Ozone
Points Assigned: 1
6. The Montreal Protocol of 1987, which became the first universally ratified treaty in United Nations history and is widely regarded as the most successful international environmental agreement, was established specifically to preserve the presence of what inorganic allotrope?
Correct Answer: OZONE
Your Answer: Ozone
Points Assigned: 1
Another gimmie?
No comments:
Post a Comment