Friday, March 13, 2026

Jesse Day 15

4/6

1. A powerful kingdom called the Moche collapsed in the 7th century and was replaced in the Moche River Valley by the Chimu, who built a thriving empire until they were conquered around 1470 by what other rising empire, which had begun expanding aggressively from its mountainous capital earlier that century?
Correct Answer: INCA/TAWANTINSUYU
Your Answer: Inca
Points Assigned: 2

I have been to Peru and ruins from each of these civilizations. 

2. Buddy Harman, Hargus "Pig" Robbins, Grady Martin, Floyd Cramer, and Chet Atkins have all been retrospectively associated with a so-called "A-Team" based in what city?
Correct Answer: NASHVILLE
Your Answer: Philadelphia
Points Assigned: 3

I should have known it was Nashville after having no idea who any of these people were, hence, country music, right? The A team I was guessing was the Philadelphia Athletics, but again, I have a good knowledge of baseball history and have never heard of these guys. 

3. In baseball, one of the statistics that measures a pitcher's performance, essentially how many baserunners a pitcher allows, is abbreviated WHIP. What do the letters in WHIP stand for?
Correct Answer: WALKS + HITS (PER) INNING PITCHED
Your Answer: Walks Hits Innings Pitched
Points Assigned: 1

I think this is pretty easy to figure out.

4. In 1859, the former independent principality of Wallachia united with Moldavia under Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza to form the United Principalities of Moldavia and Wallachia. This union became the basis for what modern-day country?
Correct Answer: ROMANIA
Your Answer: Romania
Points Assigned: 2

My father is from Romania and my brother and I visited a few summers ago. 

5. April 16, 2023 was the 13,981st and final Broadway performance for what Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, which holds the record for the longest-running show in Broadway history (and will do so for at least another seven years)?
Correct Answer: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
Your Answer: Miss Saigon
Points Assigned: 1

I feel like I always get this question wrong. 

6. The "peanut" remote was a trademark of what company and time-shifting pioneer, which worked aggressively in the early 2000s to prevent its name from becoming a genericized verb (with limited success)?
Correct Answer: TIVO
Your Answer: Tivo
Points Assigned: 0

Tivo was great

No comments:

Post a Comment